The Deep End of the Ocean | Teen Ink

The Deep End of the Ocean MAG

"The Deep End of TheOcean" is a riveting movie depicting a parent's worstnightmare. The viewer is immediately engaged when Beth and PatCappadora's three-year-old son, Ben, is kidnapped in broaddaylight in front of hundreds of witnesses. The crime happensin the lobby of a hotel where Beth (Michelle Pfeiffer) hasjust arrived with her three children for a class reunion. Bethtells seven-year-old Vincent to hold Ben's hand and wait whileshe checks in. Ten minutes later Ben has vanished without atrace. Vincent cannot remember seeing anything and there areno eyewitnesses.

Thus begins the dissolution of amarriage and a family, and a nine-year search which ends withBen unexpectedly turning up on the Cappadora's doorstep. Thedetails of the kidnapping unfold, and the second half of themovie deals with the rebuilding of a family who has forgottenwhat it means to live.

Pat Cappadora is fittinglyplayed by Treat Williams in this heart-wrenching movie.Jonathan Jackson gives an outstanding performance as Ben'solder brother. Ryan Merriam is perfect as the ingenuoustwelve-year-old Ben, whose world is torn apart not once, buttwice, as he tries to become part of a family he cannotremember.

"The Deep End of The Ocean" is atale of survival, of a life taken, and a life regained. It isa story of hopelessness and joy that stays with you long afteryou finish watching.