Beloved | Teen Ink

Beloved MAG

Beloved "Beloved" is a great movie based on the novel by Toni Morrison. Every minute, a surprise occurs and the audience is engulfed by the original, unfeigned circumstances surrounding the main events.

The movie revolves around Sethe (played by Oprah Winfrey) who is continually faced with choices which must be altruistic. Some of these include: running away from the home where she was enslaved, deciding what she, as a single parent, should do with her four young children and living with the consequences. The past is relived in the memories of each character. Slavery, and how they lived through it, greatly affects each person. Many times, the experiences are unimaginable, but you learn to accept them as true. The fact that slavery chains people and distorts them physically can never be forgotten.

Sethe's mother-in-law, Baby Suggs (Beah Richards), is considered the bravest, strongest and most influential of the characters. Baby Suggs shows great fortitude when she helps the former slaves and preaches to them. In doing so, she provides the only ray of hope. Paul D (Danny Glover) was also a slave on the same property as Baby Suggs and Sethe, and becomes involved with Sethe.

I would recommend this film because the plot is captivating and the details incredibly real. The scars, the bruises, the abuse, the tattered clothes and the unkempt shack they called home, all contribute to the portrayal of a struggling "colored" family. All in all, "Beloved" is a must-see to understand better the meaning of the struggles we never faced. In understanding these struggles, we learn to sympathize with those who suffered and learn to avoid the wrongs of the past

This movie is rated R. All those under 17 must be accompanied by an adult.