Scream 2 | Teen Ink

Scream 2 MAG

Is a sequel better than the original? That is question I asked myself before seeing this movie, and is asked in the movie itself. I think not, although I have had this debate with many people over the years.

So, going to this movie I had an obvious bias, but it proved to be almost as good as the first, but by no means better. When are Hollywood producers going to learn you can't make a sequel better than the original? But that doesn't stop them. This movie is entertaining and, at some points, scary.

The plot is a lot like the original. Some freaked-out psycho is killing teenagers, but this time at a college rather than a high school. Neve Cambell repeats her role as Sydney, the tough and bright heroine. She is a great heroine, because she doesn't scream and run away like some females in the classic horror movies. She stays and fights, and has a mind of her own. Courtney Cox returns as Gail Weathers, and, no, she hasn't changed: she is still just as cold and greedy as in the original, but plays the role well.

What I really like about this movie is that they make fun of the original. In the beginning you find out that a movie has been made of the murders at Woodsbro. It is called "Stab," and Tori Spelling plays Sydney, like Sydney predicted in the first movie. I thought the clip from "Stab" was hilarious. Besides this, the movie seems slow in some parts and I don't like the ending. (Don't worry, I won't tell you who the killer is).

So, the answer to the question I posed is no, you can't make a sequel that is better than the original, but this one came close. .

This movie is rated R. All those under 17 must be accompanied

by an adult.