Silence of the Lambs | Teen Ink

Silence of the Lambs

February 21, 2014
By Handsome_Jack BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Handsome_Jack BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. - Bruce Lee


Brilliant and terrifying are two words I would use to describe Silence of the Lambs directed by Jonathan Demme. Silence of the Lambs came out in 1991 and within the first year in which it was released, won five oscars. This horror/thriller packs a great punch for the viewer. Filled with suspense, and action. It really was a great movie to me. It had all of the great aspects of a good horror movie.

Jonathan Demme did a great job in filming this movie. He used many great filming techniques to get the audience interested in the movie. There were a lot of close up face shots that created anxiety and a gripping feel in the audience. To accompany those shots, the lighting was always dimmed, and there was a song playing in the background. I thought this really added to the closing and frightening feeling inflicted by the shots. The actors/actresses also did a phenomenal job. The character, Dr. Hannibal Lecter played by Anthony Hopkins, was a key piece in the movie. The way Hopkins played Hannibal made the movie eerie and creepy in a way. But, Hannibal is also a character that makes the viewer want to like him. This adds a whole new feeling to the movie. The main character, Clarice Starling played by Jodie Foster, also sets a great mood for the film. Her character is one of strength, intelligence, and compassion. Clarice is a character who I see as a leader. She is a character that I liked. The ability for me to like a character made it so I payed attention to the film to see what happened to her.

The story to the movie is about a F.B.I. agent solving a serial killer case by putting her trust in a psychiatrist behind bars for cannibalism. I thought that the story was really well written and played. There were times in the movie when I was gripping my chair anticipating what was going to happen next. It also had me guessing for most of the movie. The scenes are written in such a way that it doesn’t give away what is going to happen next. I really liked this because it kept my interest in seeing what was going to happen.

Ultimately, this was a great film. It had everything a good thriller needs. I loved the suspense, anxiety, and thoughts it provoked. Silence of the Lambs is a brilliant movie. It is a must see for people who like horror and suspense. If I had to rate this film, I would give it an eight out of ten. I recommend this film to anyone who is willing enough to see the gruesome scenes and enjoy it.