See No Evil, Hear No Evil | Teen Ink

See No Evil, Hear No Evil MAG

I saw the reviews for this movie ages ago, and decided I had to see it. I thought it would be funny, and was eager to see it on video because I missed it in the theater. It was, but not funny enough. Because the two main characters played by Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor are deaf and blind respectively, the movie seemed to worry a lot about showing a portrayal of the handicapped versus the standard comedy of Wilder and Pryor. The movie erred on the side of respect for the handicapped, losing a lot of the possible comedy.

There were funny scenes, most of them shown in the commercials, and there were a few poignant scenes, but those were broken very quickly with lousy humor. The movie sacrificed a lot of comedy for fear of offending someone, and they sacrificed a lot of emotion for fear of making someone feel uncomfortable, proof that appealing to the least common denominator does little to improve a movie. I'm glad I didn't see it in a theater because it wasn't worth the money. I'm not sure it's worth renting either, but it is worth the two hours if it's ever shown on TV.n

E