Pineapple Express | Teen Ink

Pineapple Express MAG

By Anonymous

“Pineapple Express” is one of the funniest movies of 2008; I think everybody can find something to laugh at here. Despite its R rating that could put off parents and younger viewers, this is a kind-hearted comedy that has tons of laid-back laughs. The movie also has a few twists and turns that will have you busting a gut and hanging onto the edge of your seat.

The main characters include court clerk Dale (Seth Rogan), who is not the sharpest tool in the shed. An unlikely actor in this movie is James Franco, who gained fame in the Spiderman movies. Franco shows ­audiences that he can dominate all aspects of acting by giving a stellar performance as Saul, the fun-loving, could-never-hurt-a-fly simpleton who sells Denton drugs. Other notable actors include Danny McBride and Gary Cole.

Even though this movie is about drug use, director David Green does a great job not ­focusing on it. I only counted a few scenes where drugs were the focus.

Dale goes to buy drugs from Sal. As Dale is leaving, he tells Sal that he has to serve a warrant to a guy named Ted. Sal laughingly tells Dale that his connection’s name is Ted. When Dale goes to the address on the warrant, he witnesses a murder. Dale races back to Sal’s to tell him that he thinks their Teds are the same person. Ted realizes that both Dale and Sal know about the murder and sets off to find and kill them.

Dale and Sal find themselves caught in the middle of a drug war and must escape Ted’s goons. They also must avoid the police since Ted has inside connections. As Sal and Dale embark on this hilarious adventure, they discover they are ­truly best friends and save each other multiple times.

A movie ticket is a small price to pay for an hour and a half of nonstop laughs. I would recommend this movie to anyone older than 16. Despite a little language and drug use, this movie has a very kindhearted feel and the same goofy comedy as the hit film “Superbad.”

This movie is rated R.