Kevin Spacey | Teen Ink

Kevin Spacey

April 2, 2014
By Anonymous

Outside of Time and Spacey-April First 2014
The art that is film can not be better encompassed than that which is modeled after the brilliant and insanely sharp Kevin Spacey. If ever there was a breathing encyclopedia of film knowledge it was this man. Two oscars to his name, an undeniable knack for impressions, a noggin which has more facts than the movie database itself, and films of every genre with costars from Morgan Freeman to Jack Lemmon, I decided to make him my new hero. I personally believe that there is not enough credit to this man’s name. A movie lover, a friend to the biggest names in Hollywood, a natural in theatre and an artist on camera; Spacey encompasses the very meaning of passion for film. I was once asked, if I could meet anyone living or dead and ask them one question who would it be and what would I ask. I always made something up that was always very phony though I wish I could have been clever enough to say something at lest half as witty what the boy next to me said, “Marilyn Monroe-your place or mine?” I have decided that from here on out I will always answer “Kevin Spacey-what was it like knowing Jack Lemmon.” I don't think the man would ever shut up which is what would make it all the better. Just listening to interviews or watching his eyes on the silver screen teach me that there is something more to film and story telling than the vernal public understand. I wish to one of the few who sees what he does. He has brought it to life more than any other actor I have seen and he has made me hungrier for the knowledge I already starve for. The moment it all began was when he recited those simple Academy Award winning words, “What if you miss.” I rewound that phrase twice because I was defeated by him. In that moment he was real. I had never been so taken aback my 4 words before. Once I realized who this Kevin was, I suddenly went on the hunt for any Spacey performance I could get my hands on. Even now I am pushing my own limits just to witness him at work. I personally am bored to tears just by the mere word ‘politics’ however I am 100% prepared to suffer through those terms I snored through in government class and become frustrated with my lack of knowledge of politics, just for the sake of his performances in ‘House of Cards.’ Another unforgettable moment spent alone in my dorm, except for my Mac, was the chilling moment when John Doe’s voice came on over the phone in “Se7en” and I became exhilarated at the thought that this killer could be played by the very man I am writing about. I became thrilled in anticipation for his face to be revealed but I prepared my self for the possible disappointment I would feel should it not be him. The moment he came on the screen I began talking out loud in the solitude of my dorm room in utter disbelief and self impression. What were the odds that he should be in this random film I choose right in the middle of my ‘Spacey Phase’ -if you will, and how good was I to recognize his voice through the static of the phone pressed against Brad Pitt’s ear. These little connections I made in the films I watched only made me more anxious to learn about film and continue to expand my horizons in film history. In his last thank you speech at the oscars in 2000 for “American Beauty” he said two things which I believe contradict each other. First he said, “I hope it’s not all downhill from here” then he took a moment to thank Jack Lemmon fork his inspirational legacy unaware that Jack would be dead in one year. To say that he, a legend himself, could ever go down hill contradicts his recognition of a timeless actor like Lemmon because Spacey’s name runs alongside that of Jack’s. Kevin indeed, is also called ‘timeless.’ First of all, this man has only been nominated twice for an Oscar in his career thus far and he has won both times. There will always be wide eyed dreamers like me who aspire to acquire the skill and trivial knowledge that people like him possess. It keeps my dream alive even when I am close to giving it up for the simplicity and dullness of reality. Even at this age when my future career is so close, I continue to dream the way I have for the past 5 years. There is a deeper appreciation for this art that I hope to one day master and it is a fire that will not die but continues to be fed by ‘the greats’ of Hollywood. The slightest hope of accomplishing anything I am dreaming of is enough to motivate me. I do not see the obnoxious amount of time I have spent on Netflix or IMDb as a waste of time of any sort. These names, titles, awards, histories, and connects are what make my heart beat and my mind race. My blood flows and eyes sparkle at the wonder of film and the magic of cinema. Is there a greater passion than this? Perhaps that is a question I shall reserve for a man with passion far greater than my own, Kevin Spacey himself.