Transformers | Teen Ink

Transformers

Transformers: An Action Thrill Ride that Started With a Car

With the new, technologically advanced world we live in, television and movies can have so much more added to them to make the audiences enjoy what they are watching. Being able to do this allows action films to digitally incorporate things that might not be real. This is a part of why action is popular to teens and young adults. The audience has a way of escaping a “normal” life by imagining themselves in the roles they see in the movies because the movies have something new. But, the technology isn’t the only reason why the genre is popular.

The craze for action is no new phenomenon. Bram Stroker’s Dracula was written in the late nineteenth century and is full of a feeling of “what is going to happen next?” The readers of the book are always flipping to the next page because they are so eager to know the ending. Even Shakespeare’s plays Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet give the same feeling. In Romeo and Juliet the audiences were on the edge of their seats, both in the fifteenth century and now, to know what happens to the teenage lovers. The play had the audience entranced within the first minute and all the way to the last scene. Action has and will be around for a long time, and the reason for that is because of who enjoys it.

Action is very popular because the teens and young adults who watch or read it can relate to the feeling it gives. This demographic have always had stress in their life. These entertainments help get their minds off of the real world and give the opportunity to fantasize a new world. Also, with more modern action films, the new things added in them that might not be invented or possible yet give the viewers a feeling that they can do anything. Transformers is a great movie that allows the audience to imagine more of the unknown. The whole premise of the movie is about alien robots, who happen to disguise themselves as some pretty good looking cars. Just the alien aspect or the robot aspect gets the audience to think of what else there is in the world. It opens up their mind and brings them back to their childhood when anything was possible.

Tranformers begins on an alien planet where great robots are in a war among themselves for a huge power called the allspark. The Autobots want to use the power for good but the Decepticons want to use it to control as much as they can. A high school student named Sam has a clue to find the allspark. When he gets his first car, it is actually an Autobot that is his protector. When more Autobots meet up with Sam’s car, Bumblebee, they all plan to find the allspark to keep it safe. The Decepticons find where Sam is and the battle begins to get the allspark. Eventually Sam and the Autobots find the allspark and the battle reaches its climax when the Decepticons find them. In the end, the Autobot leader says the only way to stop the war is to put the allspark into his chest which destroys both the allspark and the Autobot leader. But in the end Sam puts the allspark into the chest of the Decepticon leader and the Decepticons leave the planet because their leader has been vanquished.