Animated Films Meant for Adults | Teen Ink

Animated Films Meant for Adults

April 11, 2014
By Anonymous

Animated Films Meant for Young Adults
Although, most Disney movies are animated there content is aimed toward adults. Disney has released multiple princess movies; which of course have the same happy ending. However, these movies have different storylines; it’s not just about finding your true love. You learned to follow your dreams from Tangled, not to be afraid to be yourself from Brave, and don’t fall in love to quickly from Frozen. Frozen’s moral has become well known to its audience; appealing to both youth and young adults. Music from the film has become well known among society. Frozen is said to be the best motion picture since The Lion King.
Disney’s main theme for Frozen is different from Disney princess movies of the past. In most Disney classics, a princess is trying to find her prince charming. In Frozen, the story begins with the demanding life of Kristoff, a little boy and Stev, his reindeer. This opening gives a picture of Arrindel’s society. Then you come across two sisters, Anna and Elsa, who appear have an everlasting bond. Until Elsa’s magical ice powers almost kill Anna while they are playing. After the accident both girls are withdrawn from society and each other. Years later, on Elsa’s Coronation Day the girls will see each other for the first time since the accident. Their reunion reminds me of best friends reconnecting after many years. Anna’s excitement is shown as the gates open and she sings “For the First Time in Forever” throughout Arrindel.
The excitement doesn’t last long, because the new Queen Elsa forbids Anna to marry Hans; a man she just met. Anna is really upset and begs her sister for acceptance; just like many teens looking for love and affection. Queen Elsa has her mind set and gets mad when Anna continues to question. Now the town of Arrindel is exposed to Queen Elsa’s powers; which leaves Arrindel in everlasting winter. Anna goes searching for her sister to make things right. She runs into Kristoff, a grown man who helps her find North Mountain where her sister is hiding. While searching the two run into Olaf, a snowman Anna and Elsa built as children. Olaf displays a very energetic character that is described as simple; loved by most of the audience. When Anna comes across the enormous ice castle built by Queen Elsa she doesn’t hesitate to enter. This resulted in Queen Elsa striking her in the heart. Like many Disney movies the only way to cure the problem is to find true love. Kristoff rushes Anna back to Arrindel so that her true love, Hans, can cure her. Han’s true colors are revealed when he tells Anna his plan to take over Arrindel. This is a lesson on “love at first sight” is only a myth. As Anna is slowly dying, Olaf tells her that Kristoff is her true love. In search for Kristoff, Anna finds her sister worn out and desperate for help. With only moments left in her life, Anna gives up her search for Kristoff and blocks Hans from killing Queen Elsa. Anna’s sacrifice and Queen Elsa’s tears of sorrow is the true love that Anna needed in order to be cured. There is no better friend than a sister. Sisters are the perfect best friends. Even though, there was the typical happy ending, it wasn’t a prince who made it happily ever after. Therefore, the act of true love was shown in a different perspective.
Frozen gave the act of true love another meaning. True love does not always have to be your prince charming. Frozen displays the dangers of falling in love to quickly; hopefully teaching a lesson to young adults always searching for love. Love develops over a period of time between two people. Elsa and Anna’s true love is unbreakable. Although Frozen had good morals and meaning throughout the movie could have displayed more of Hans’s evilness, more suspense, and given Olaf more credit for his complexity rather than making him so simple. Overall, Frozen was a good movie. The message conveyed about acts of true love was different from other Disney movies. This animated film is relatable to young adults as they figure out the complexities of life and acts of true love.