Blended | Teen Ink

Blended

June 1, 2014
By MegoMyEggo GOLD, Solomons, Maryland
MegoMyEggo GOLD, Solomons, Maryland
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Yesterday my sister and I went to the movies and saw the new Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore movie “Blended.” It was the only movie playing at the right time we could see it, so we thought we’d give it a try, despite all of the negative reviews.

The first warning sign we received was the fact that when we came into the theater, there were no other people. After about twenty minutes of trailers, a couple of other people came in just before the movie started. Ten minutes into the movie it was pretty clear that this movie was pretty stupid. It had all kinds of cheesy humor, most of it being beaten to a pulp before it was left alone.

The plot of the movie is basically two parents (Sandler and Barrymore) that are single, one divorced and one widowed, with children. They go on a blind date and can’t stand each other, but with a turn of unlikely events, end up going on the same vacation to Africa. Once on the trip, the two families begin to “blend” and the two find that they are attracted to each other. There are some other cliche and cheesy events that lead up to the trip home, and the inevitable declaration of feelings.

There are some heartwarming moments, and I have to admit that once you’re about halfway through, it starts growing on you. Most of the jokes are kind of random or weird or juvenile, but it was one of those cases where it was so bad it was funny. This being the third movie the two have starred in together, there are a few cameos by some characters from the other two movies (50 First Dates and The Wedding Singer). By the end, we decided that it was an experience we wouldn't be forgetting soon, and at least it had a heartwarming ending. Basically, you probably know what you’re walking into.