Sweet Home Alabama | Teen Ink

Sweet Home Alabama

Sweet Home Alabama was a movie released in 2002. This movie tells the story of Melanie Carmichael (Reese Witherspoon), who is currently a fashion designer in New York City. She soon finds herself engaged to the mayor's son, Andrew (Patrick Dempsey). But, before she can marry Andrew, she must go back to her hometown in Alabama and finalize her divorce from her husband she married out of high school, Jake (Josh Lucas) who refuses to divorce her. Melanie soon finds that you can take the girl out of the South, but you can never take the South out of the girl.

This movie is about never forgetting your roots and where you come from. You can't run from your past, eventually it will catch up with you. Who your family is and where you grew up are things that can't ever change, and you must accept that about yourself. This movie is also about following what your heart wants and not always doing something that is “right” just because that is what everyone else wants. Giving love a second chance is always worth the try, and sometimes good-bye is a second chance.

This movie is very charming, and witty. There are some good laughs in this movie, and special moments between the main characters, Melanie and Jake. I thought the characters were cast very well, and fit their parts perfect. Melanie, the sweet southern girl, Jake the red-neck stud, and Andrew the accomplished hottie. The ending was too predictable, though. The audience can just tell when two people are meant to be together. This movie keeps you wanting more from the characters, and the ending ties everything together.

The critics rated this movie with an average B-. I would definitely rate this movie with an A. I think the love story is sweet and very realistic. The characters fit perfect in their roles. This is a perfect date movie, and I would recommend this movie to anyone who is seeking a light-hearted movie with lots of laughs that keeps you wanting more.