The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1

By Siana PLATINUM, Escondido, California
Siana PLATINUM, Escondido, California

You have to be living under a rock if you haven’t heard of The Hunger Games book trilogy—written by Suzanne Collins—and four-part movie series—directed by Francis Lawrence. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1  came into theaters Friday, November 21, 2014, taking the audience on a spellbinding journey that had them captivated until the last second.

As usual, Jennifer Lawrence did a fantastic job portraying Hunger Games’ Victor Katniss Everdeen. Along with hundreds of others, Katniss, her family, and her best friend Gale Hawthorne are all in the underground safety of District 13. Katniss has sparked a revolution, with the districts all fighting for freedom from the all-too-menacing, scheming Capitol.

Katniss, Gale, and her team go out to destroyed districts, shooting propaganda for the war. During their shots, President Snow does as much as he can to make Katniss give up her title as the “Mockingjay”, the face of the revolution. Snow tortures one-third of Katniss’ ever complicated love triangle, Peeta Malark. As if this wasn’t enough, the love triangle continues; Gale is completely head-over-heels for Katniss, while Gale knows she only feels that kind of connection when Peeta isn’t in the picture.

Every scene was thoughtfully planned out; every detail was chosen carefully to make this movie as perfect as possible. Everything from Katniss’ clothing to the aircrafts that were bombing the districts was so heavily detailed as if they came right off the pages of Collin’s book. This third installment stuck closely to the novel, bringing satisfaction to fans and readers who feared the movie would not live up to their expectations.

Overall, Mockingjay, Part 1 was absolutely brilliant, leaving the audience starving for the fourth and final movie.

Will you satisfy your hunger, dragging yourself to the nearest theater to experience this story that will leave you craving more?