Age of Adaline | Teen Ink

Age of Adaline

October 7, 2015
By alowe16 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
alowe16 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Starring Blake Lively, Michiel Huisman, Kathy Baker, Harrison Ford, and Ellen Burstyn, The Age of Adaline transcends time while unfolding an ageless love story. Directed by Lee Toland Krieger, this film tells the story of a 29-year old who miraculously survives a near-death experience and loses her ability to age. She therefore forfeits every capability to love, form relationships or have a consistent life.  To keep her identity safe, she withholds this information and keeps herself hidden, constantly changing where she lives and works. Adaline’s world turns upside down when she meets someone who might just change her definition of love. She soon finds herself torn between love and safety, and she is forced to make a life-changing decision.

This movie was very realistic. While the storyline was difficult to depict because it spans so much time, Krieger did it seamlessly. He accurately connects eras with clothing, language, technology, and setting. He shows progression through time in  a productive and accurate manner.


A highlight of this movie was the acting;  all the actors produced  intense emotions and advanced skills. They truly developed this story over time and indulged the audience. The directing was most definitely effective; the camera shots gave all new perspectives to this story. They shot different angles of the actors and the settings, giving the scene and movie itself a whole new level of suspense. Close up shots of the character truly give the scenes a surreal feel of emotion and setting. Also exceptional were the special effects, which felt real.


Another highlight was the costuming: all the costumes reflected the time era being portrayed. While Adaline transformed through time, so did her costuming. I think that the costuming was one of the most important parts of the movie, it held a lot of weight in the movie. If the costumes were misrepresented, then the whole movie would have been thrown off. They were carefully crafted and successfully fit. Another huge highlight to this movie was the settings. The setting was also another crucial aspect, if the setting was not advocating for the time era, viewers could find themselves lost. Leave it up to Kreiger to successfully develop settings that accurately depict the time, he payed attention to the little details such as books in the library, street lights, cars, and even architecture in the building.


All in all this movie is a must see, it fits perfectly into the category of a well developed romantic movie. Viewers find themselves creating connections with the characters and losing themselves in the story. This movie is not too long, and not too short. It is all tied together perfectly and truly takes it’s audience through time. The plot is believable and relatable and leaves its audience pining for more.