The Blind Side | Teen Ink

The Blind Side

By ReillyHutchison BRONZE, Rehoboth, Delaware
ReillyHutchison BRONZE, Rehoboth, Delaware

Heartwarming, moving, and touching are all words that describe the movie, The Blind Side. The Blind Side was released on November 20th, 2009. Many people were/are attracted to the movie because it is based on a true story. It is for the whole family to enjoy and it teaches children and adults how you should treat others even if they are different. The movie also teaches people that any act of kindness can change some ones life. This movie is worth watching because it teaches many lessons about, family, siblings, and accepting others.

The one message in this movie that I thought was the most powerful was “family isn’t always blood.” Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron) is a tall African- American high-school student who was homeless until he was taken in by Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock) and her family. Her children go to the same school as Michael and that was how she found out he was homeless. Their son S.J. (Jay Head) loves introducing Michael as his big brother. Leigh Anne and her family provided Michael with so much such as a room, a bed, a truck, food, and an opportunity to play football. Michael was in the 98th percentile for protective instincts which made it hard for him to tackle people while in the game. Leigh Anne saw him struggling so she told him to protect his team as if he was protecting their family. This changed the way Michael would play for his entire life. This message means so much to me because even though the Tuohy’s weren’t Michaels family by blood he still thought of them as his family, and when he knew he had to protect the team like family he improved tremendously on the field. Although this part of the movie was inspiring, it was also exaggerated, because Leigh Anne never actually went on the field to inspire Michael, he always had a passion for football.

There is one scene in the movie that sends a great message about accepting others, and I was touched by it because I am one of those people that think you should accept others no matter how different they might be. In the scene Leigh Anne and her friends are eating lunch and talking about Michael. They start calling Michael Leigh Anne’s “new charity case”, but instead of laughing along with them she defends Michael because he is her son. Unlike the scene talked about above this part of the movie was true, because many people would walk up to Leigh Anne in restaurants, and school events asking about Michael and she would say, “You just need to mind your own business. You worry about your own life and I’ll worry about mine.” Although many people judged her for taking in Michael she never blamed him for it and she always stood up for him.

This movie is inspiring and it teaches lessons that will stick with you for the rest of your life. It has made me a better person and I will never forget the gratifying feeling I get whenever I watch it.