Fight Club | Teen Ink

Fight Club

Fight Club is based on the 1996 book of the same title by Chuck Palahniuk. It tells the story of a depressed man (Edward Norton) with insomnia, who finds a cure for both in becoming a support group addict, until this solution is sabotaged by a woman, Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Carter), replicating his actions. Later on, the narrator (who is also the main character) meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) on a plane and together they start an underground club, with very strict rules, where men can come together and fight one another as a release from the monotony of their modern lives. It all goes on a downward spiral when the fight club becomes a cult called “Project Mayhem” also beginning to commit various crimes.

In my opinion, Fight Club is one of the best, most iconic movies created by the film industry in the past 20 years. The plot line takes the viewers on a rollercoaster ride, with the constant ups and downs and a major plot twist; the characters are so diverse yet interacting with each other in certain ways that really enhance the movie and its importance to the world of cinema. The casting is perfect, and the humour leaves marks on a range of significant social issues nowadays, such as: violence, most of the movie is centered around it and how people might find violence as a solution to society’s problems, consumerism, saying “The things you own end up owning you”, emasculation, indicating that as a “generation of men raised by women” another one might not be “the answer”, etc.

Fight Club had a budget of $63 million and an income of about $100.9 million. It has a running time of about 2 hours and 30 minutes. There are not many special effects utilised in the movie until the very end, and I believe that they are rather well incorporated with the plot, and setting in that specific moment.

What makes Fight Club an even better film is this dark and twisted side each character possesses. “How much can you know about yourself if you’ve never been in a fight?” was a question Tyler Durden directed to the Narrator. It is one of the most important quotes in the movie, one that also helped initiate the fight club itself. It is not as relatable when it is said, but as the story progresses the true meaning behind it is revealed; the Narrator displays his sadistic side saying “After fighting, everything else in your life got the volume turned down”, which also describes how his life changes drastically. His whole world becomes centered on that oblivion of mind he experiences while fighting, to the point where everything else does not matter as much anymore.
Fight Club is arguably one of the best movies produced during the last 20 years, with a somewhat decent income. It has an impressive plot line, and characters, which really help enhance the value of the movie and make it more pleasant to watch.

Works Cited
"Fight Club." IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web. 26 Jan. 2016.