Bratz | Teen Ink

Bratz

Bratz, when you see that “z” you automatically think of the four stylish best friends known as Yasmin, Sasha, Cloe, and Jade that most girls wanted to be when they were younger. The were liked by many girls and some boys. Bratz is an American product line of fashion dolls and merchandise. Four original dolls were released in 2001 – Yasmin, Cloe, Jade and Sasha, and 2015 a Fifth Girl was added to Bratz called Raya, making her the Fifth official Bratz. They featured almond-shaped eyes adorned with eyeshadow, and lush, glossy lips. Bratz reached great success and the original line of dolls was expanded with a number of spin-offs like Bratz Kidz, and Bratz Babyz, as well as media featuring the Bratz characters, including a Web series, movie, TV series, music albums and video games. In 2005, global sales were two billion dollars and by 2006 Bratz had about forty percent of the fashion-doll market. In the tv show the Bratz are the modern-day Barbie dolls whose rock star appearance has upset many parents wanting healthy role models for their daughters. Don't forget, these dolls are marketed to tween girls, whose thoughts of their woman years are still being formed. But it gets worse, the TV show computer-animates these dolls, providing them with voice, a theme song, and a world where parents are absent and teens make all the rules. They wear so much makeup that they look like they loaded up on too many samples at the cosmetics counter. In one episode, the Bratz are expected to put on a fashion show for their fashion class. The boys of the show contribute by singing a hip-hop song about hanging out and checking out "all the girls."

The Bratz then triumphantly appear decked out in high boots and mini-skirts so skimpy. Parents will absolutely want to screen this program to see if it's appropriate for their kids. Except this doesn't happen to be my opinion on the show/ movies, when I was growing up the Bratz were my all time favorite characters I had the bedsheets, chairs, every single movie that came out. I was obsessed with anything and everything Bratz. I wouldn’t be surprised if kids who watch ask for Bratz merchandise, since this feature is essentially a giant commercial for the toy franchise.   This part of the review is about a certain Bratz movie which is called “Bratz: Kidz Fairy Tales”. Parents need to know that Bratz Kidz: Fairy Tales is intended for younger kids and doesn't focus on the typical tween Bratz interests of fashion and makeup, etc. The focus on traditional fairy tales means that there are some mild scares from a cackling witch, hungry wolf, and jealous evil queen. Beneath the frequent cartoon action, a secret message encourages the kids to withhold judgment of others until they fully understand their problems. When the Bratz decide to impress the principal of their school by putting on a fairy tale play, the girls want to make some changes to their classic stories that we all know. Positive they can create characters to top Rapunzel, Snow White, Red Riding Hood and Cinderella, the Bratz don't know what to do when a frog suddenly appears and takes them into a fairy tale land where they are forced to test their theory. Sasha as Red Riding Hood, Yasmin as Cinderella, Cloe as Rapunzel and Jade as Snow White. I think the best thing the producers did for the Bratz series is when the made a non-animated movie in 2007 which is my all time favorite. Four best friends start high school. Each one is unique and likes their own thing. When Meredith, the most popular girl, sees this she automatically knows they are trouble. Eventually though Cloe joins the soccer team and hangs out with them, Sasha joins the cheerleading squad and hangs out with the cheerleaders, Jade is part of the math club so she hangs out with them, and Yasmin is left all alone. After years of not talking to each other Jade and Yasmin speak a few words in the restroom but Yasmin doesn't have the courage to tell Jade she misses her. Then the four girls are reunited when they are sent to detention for causing a food fight. After the girls are reunited they find out they are not invited to a huge party given by Meredith Then Cloe finds out that her mom got a job serving food at the party. They are forced to work for Meredith Then at the party Meredith decides to expose Yasmins secret which is her dancing and singing with a face mask. Then Yasmins friend(who she has a crush on) starts doing a dance and then everybody joins in and Meredith is humiliated. When Meredith accidentally gets thrown into the pool she calls the four best friends "bratz." The girls then decide to be part of the talent show to win a scholarship. Meredith is always the one who wins but the "bratz" are prepared to take her down. But when Meredith finds she threatens Yasmin by telling her that if she continued preparing for the show she would expose her friends secrets. Yasmin decides to call everything off. At the end the girls still do the talent show and they tell everybody there secrets who turn out not to be so bad. The girls win and they each end up with their crushes. The girls decide to give Cloe the scholarship. The movie ends with the girls walking down a red carpet. Bratz are a very kid-friendly movies besides the 2007 non-animated one it’s more for pre-teens and teenagers due to romantic relationships. I would highly recommend this movie series and the tv show for children/preteens/teens it’s also parent friendly too.