Captain Phillips | Teen Ink

Captain Phillips MAG

By Beast101 SILVER, Pune, Other
Beast101 SILVER, Pune, Other

Based on a thrilling true story, “Captain Phillips” is a breathtaking blockbuster that will keep you on the edge of your seat. A nominee for the 2013 Best Picture Oscar Award, this spectacular movie will take you through a riveting and life-threatening story, impressing even the most critical critics. With a fascinating lead role played by Tom Hanks, “Captain Phillips” boasts a gripping plot loaded with stunning action sequences and an intense theme. Concisely speaking, “Captain Phillips” is a must-watch film.

It all begins with Captain Richard Phillips’s enormous carrier, Maersk Alabama, wading through the dangerous Somali waters. Just a few hours into the journey, Phillips and his team encounter a perilous situation – two skiffs carrying four pirates each approach the vessel at swift speeds. Phillips’s mariners carry out the emergency procedures and succeed in disabling the skiffs. Little does Phillips know that the next day is going to be the most dreadful of his life.

Early the next morning, one speedboat carrying four armed men approaches the vessel. Fearing imminent death, the ever-panicking crew conceal themselves in the engine room, while the co-captain helps Phillips tackle the pirates. The efforts are in vain and the pirates board his ship. Abduwali Muse (Barkhad Abdi), the pirate leader, holds a couple of Phillips’s men hostage and demands a million-dollar ransom. As commanded by Muse, Phillips guides the pirates through the entire ship, meanwhile secretly communicating to his men their location. Dramatic and captivating action scenes follow, resulting in the capture of the courageous Captain Phillips. After an array of battle scene, the freebooters abduct Phillips and take him away on a speedboat.

Gripping the audience with a dazzling plot, “Captain Phillips” boasts an amazing storyline. Director Paul Greengrass ensures that every scene is unforeseen and engrossing. For example, most spectators would have expected the crew to consider the captain’s imminent death and flee, but instead they try their best to make sure that their leader is safe. The unexpected twists and turns are captivating.

Veteran actor Tom Hanks breathes life into the die-hard character of Captain Phillips with a mesmerizing, clear voice as he speaks every word. He transforms into a real ship captain in a perilous situation as he delivers every scene, every act, with true heart. With vivid and distinguishing facial expressions and a masterful portrayal of the real-life Phillips, Hanks takes the movie to a new level.

New recruit Barkhad Abdi perfectly enacts the Somali pirate leader Abduwali Muse, complete with an impressive Somali accent. He is never happy with what Phillips offers and is always greedy for more. Accompanied by a firm voice and unforgiving character, Abdi enthrals viewers. Clearly, Greengrass picked the best actors for this film.

Moreover, stunning action sequences pack the movie with intense cliffhangers, ensuring that views are completely absorbed in the movie. For example, the crew engages the pirates in realistic battle scenes as the captain tries to sort things out in the deck above, and the last few acts are packed with unexpected plot twists. 

Throughout this moving piece of art, the theme of “courage under fire” is omnipresent. Time and again, Captain Phillips tries everything in his power – through blood, tears, and sweat – to save his crew. In the lifeboat, Phillips again invokes the ever-stirring theme as he tries his best to save an injured and bloodied pirate.

“Captain Phillips” is a fast-paced, awe-inspiring movie with realistic action, a gripping plot, and a stirring theme. To top it all, the main roles are played by experienced actors who are stars in the film industry. “Captain Phillips” is a must-see movie. Run and watch it before the pirates catch you!

Rating: 5 stars