You Can't Be Like Me | Teen Ink

You Can't Be Like Me

By VeronicaLandel BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
VeronicaLandel BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

On February 22, 2019 Lil Pump released a new song labeled Be Like Me. The song is full of assertive lines addressing fakes and copy cats in the music industry trying to take his money and take credit for his success. There have been cases of popular rappers such as Eminem copying Lil Pumps music videos and more. He fights these scandals by rapping, “you just can’t be like me.” Lil Pump does a fantastic job addressing how everyone is different and has come from different pasts. He raps about his unique attributes and all that he went through as well as all that he had to face to get to where he is today. Lil Pump is combatting a huge problem with the music industry in his new song. He addresses everything from rappers stealing each other’s styles and life stories, as well as society thinking all there is to rapping is wearing gold chains and expensive clothing.  

In Be Like Me Lil Pump is able to speak about the work that goes into being a rapper as well as the talent and dedication it takes to be successful. He puts up the argument that it’s not as easy as you think it is to be like him. His life is not all money and travel. Lil Pump also raps about the many struggles he has been forced to face throughout his life in his new song. Growing up in a poor low-class area he had to face problems involving drugs and alcohol at a young age. This can lead to an early loss of innocence and problems growing up later in life. In Be Like Me he channels all his anger and depression from his past struggles and lays it all on the table for the listener. He opens up about his struggle with education and literacy when he raps, “I’m a millionaire, but I don't know how to read.” He also raps about his struggles with trusting people as a result of coworkers and friends who have stole his money and his worth in the past. He says he no longer cares about the people that screw him over because he has accomplished so much coming from so little.

Lil Pump is also addressing the problem of people in the rap community faking a challenging childhood. In some songs rappers talk about the streets and the hardships they were forced to face throughout their childhoods, then a couple months later a news story comes out that they are truly from very wealthy and put together communities. Lil Pump is passionate about his work, and he has accomplished so much in his career. Lil Pump has the ability to be completely open with his fans. He is willing to rap about everything he has faced and how he has overcome so many hardships. He says his past is the biggest reason no one can really be like him because no one has had the same experiences as him. Lil Pump finishes the song talking about where he is now. How powerful he is, and how he can afford to spend a million on Gucci bedsheets.

In my opinion Lil Pumps new song is powerful and brings across emotional points that rappers have been holding back from touching upon. I think he proves a very good point through his music and I am glad to say his new song is spreading quickly throughout the rap community.