Until You Were Gone-The Chainsomkers, Tritonal (Review) | Teen Ink

Until You Were Gone-The Chainsomkers, Tritonal (Review)

May 15, 2019
By Priyanshu_rastogi SILVER, Lucknow, Other
Priyanshu_rastogi SILVER, Lucknow, Other
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Collab Chainsmoker songs are the best !

Okay, so first things first, this song is not a new release, in fact this song came out in 2015 in their (as in Chainsmoker’s) E.P. (Extended Play) Bouquet. The reason I’m doing this song right now is because I discovered this song recently and I was more or less hooked to this EDM (Electronic Dance Music)/pop song by these EDM/pop artists. Talking about the artists on this song, you may be familiar with the former but you might not know the latter. That’s because they are…not that famous (that, in no sense makes them bad artists).Tritonal is an American DJ duo that was formed in 2008. They have produced original tracks as well as remixes for songs by Zedd, Hardwell, 5 Seconds of Summer, etc. That’s enough with the introduction now moving on to the song.

This song is a typical Chainsmoker song from the intro to the beats the only thing that makes this song different and catchy is that Tritonal magic the duo has invested in this song. This song is P-E-R-F-E-C-T blend of the Chainsmoker and the Tritonal style with Emily Warrens vocals working like a charm on this song, making this song one of the most lively songs in the whole E.P. This song is so energetic (for a Chainsmoker song) at places that it fills the atmosphere with high spirits and at some points its really soothing (probably because of Emily’s voice).

Lyrically the song follows a pretty traditional Chainsmoker theme - ‘regret after breakup’. But Emily’s contribution to the lyrics (she’s the co-writer of this song) and to be fair makes the song less monotonous than most other titles in this album. The lyrics are not exceptionally great but definitely better than native Chainsmokers lyrics.

Lyrics like –

I tried to put my finger on the moment we were wronged
But the taste turned bitter, so I pulled the trigger

definetly feel that they were written by Emily whereas lyrics like these –

So far I want to pull you closer
I wish we could start the whole thing over

do tell you, that at the end of the day, this is a Chainsmokers song. The ones Emily Warren(supposedly) wrote feel more analogical and poetic where as these last ones feel well…to put it straight, bland. The song is relatively stronger than other non-collaborative Chainsmokers song in the E.P. It’s just enough that they can get their message through without sounding too vague. Tritonal has also contributed to the lyrics aaaaand…it’s really hard to jot down what exactly they gave to this song. They don’t really have any distinct lyrical style so whatever they contributed (lyrically) it’s not worth noticing.

Music vise this song is really enchanting, you need to hear this song once or twice and you’ll be hooked. The song starts off with this very tangy piano key which does a good job of captivating the listener and really sets of the energy level this song has. Vocals start off within 7 seconds of the starting of the song which makes sense considering this is a EDM/pop song they have to space out some time for the drop and chorus in between without making this song too lengthy. Now a quick observation here, I love Emily’s voice but her pronunciation sees awkward at times. Like for example, the word ‘trigger’ in the line -

But the taste turned bitter, so I pulled the trigger

I almost felt she said ‘jaeger’ instead of trigger when I heard this song for the first time, I won’t say I was surprised because obviously this is a song not Pacific Rim (the movie) but I couldn’t figure it out until I looked up the lyrics on the internet.

Besides that fact, Emily’s singing is really nice, her vocals do a great job of lowering the tempo when the song gets too high, and like I said this song is mixture of high and low, and Emily’s voice do fair justice to the lower parts.

On the flip side, the highs are equally enjoyable with Tritonal bringing their musical style and smashing it with the Chainsmokers style which blends perfectly to make this song extremely exciting at its highs. Overall this song is a total blast, the highs make you dance and the lows keep you engaged till the next high comes about.

I feel the style of musical style of these two duo works in harmony with one and other, The Chainsmokers get a chance to give us something different than usual and Tritonal get a chance to shine in the Chanismokers limelight.    

This combination of the lyrics and the two styles of production is what makes this song worthy of your time, so I suggest you to give this song a listen, I don’t think you will regret it.