Ozuna Is Making Latin Global History with His Album: Aura | Teen Ink

Ozuna Is Making Latin Global History with His Album: Aura MAG

By dgonzalez0217 SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
dgonzalez0217 SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada

A mixture of Spanish culture from Panama and reggae from Jamaica, reggaeton emerged as a male dominated genre – very misogynistic, immensely sexist, and objectifying toward women. The songs included aggressive beats and sounds—virile, masculine anthems to sexual conquest. Artists like Don Omar, Daddy Yankee, and Wisin y Yandel popularized this genre, making it globally well-known. 

Reggaeton today has left that misogynistic way – it is not coincidental that female artists like Karol G. and Natti Natasha now dominate the genre – and has become more about finding or being in love, still keeping that old sensuality and sexual appeal while introducing new feather-light and chill vibes. Puerto Rican reggaeton and Latin trap singer Ozuna has been topping the charts and giving everyone a run for their dinero as “el negrito ojos claros” has been creating worldwide music history.

Born as Juan Carlos Ozuna Rosado on March 13, 1992, Ozuna’s rhythmic and danceable style of music has been drastically changing the reggaeton game. From the beginning of his discography, his musical style has always been melodic and upbeat. One of his first songs, “Un Nuevo Amor,” from the album “Yums: The Mixtape Part 2” gives off a fun-day-at-the-beach feeling, utilizing a reggae beat. The single that significantly increased his popularity—“Dile Que Tu Me Quieres”— mesmerizingly and blissfully talks about the beautiful moments where one realizes he’s falling in love accompanied by a sparky tempo.

Ozuna’s latest album release, “Aura,” won the 2018 Billboard Music Award for Top Latin Album. The album is composed of 20 catchy sets of words to make anyone’s ears smile and features collaborations with artists like Akon, J Balvin, Anuel AA, Romeo Santos, and Cardi B.

The album begins with the song “Aura,” an emotionally rich and poetic vibe: “Espejo, tú que dices la verdad ¿Cómo hago para yo no mentirme?, eh-ieh Cuando te miro sabemos la realidad Pero sé que me hago daño al mentirme, eh-ieh.” The song talks about having mixed emotions and feelings, which is the complete opposite to “Aunque Yo Me Porte Mal,” the tenth song on the album. Totally contradicting “Aura,” “Aunque Me Porte Mal” talks about what it’s like to know exactly who has your heart and how it feels to be in love with them. Along with its feel-good and playful beat, this song will have anyone up on their feet dancing and singing with their loved ones. And for those who have not had the best experiences with love in the past, the song “Monotonia” will have people crying over their nonexistent past lovers. Ozuna depressingly sings, “A mi corazón que te borre pero es que él no quiere y me suplica y dice que se muere,” activating tears to pour down like flash floods. Although reggaeton has transitioned into a more fresh and clean version, Ozuna certainly does not forget its roots. Similar to Anuel AA, Karol G., Bad Bunny, and Natti Natasha, Ozuna still boldy emphasizes sensuality and seductiveness in a fun and flirty way. “Supuestamente,” “Ibiza,” “Escape,” “Tu Olor,” and “Devuelveme” all keep that fire and passion in both the lyrics and overall rhythm. He courageously shows this in the lyric from “Supuestamente” featuring Anuel AA: “Haciéndolo, bebé, tú eres mi víctima (mi victima) Te endiablas y te pones pornográfica.” In “Tu Olor,” Ozuna sets the mood by telling his partner that “Se quedó tu olor en mi cuerpo Prohibido es mejor Volvamo’ a tener sexo.” Ozuna does a flawless and smooth job of being straightforward and ambiguous at the same time about the things he wants to do with his significant other.

Although Bad Bunny and Ozuna have very similar musical styles – not to mention that they are the most successful Latin trap artists and reggaetoneros to bring those the genres into the American mainstream – Ozuna keeps it a little more sexual in his songs whereas Bad Bunny switches from sexual to inspiring to heartbroken to nostalgic.

Ozuna has greatly impacted Latin music and keeps giving both Latin and non-Latin listeners banger after banger after banger. Overall, his album “Aura” deserves an outstanding round of applause in Spanish. Ozuna has found a dynamic way of preserving the original reggaeton roots and also modernizing to give it a hypnotic and inviting appeal.

I love reggaeton and Latin music so I decided to talk about one of my favorite Latin artists.