BTS Wings Album Review | Teen Ink

BTS Wings Album Review

By IMeannn..... SILVER, Sacramento, California
IMeannn..... SILVER, Sacramento, California

WINGS is the second album of BTS. It includes 15 songs, two of which are an intro and an interlude, and seven are solos. The title track is 피 땀 눈물 (Blood Sweat and Tears), which came with a music video. BigHit released a series of seven short films (one for each solo track) from September 4 to September 13 , and music video for Boy Meets Evil one of J-Hope's solo songs on September 25 which was the comeback trailer. WINGS and the MV for Blood Sweat and Tears were both released on October 11, 2016.

First impression of this album

To me at that time this BTS album was weird one for me at first because I'm used to everyone having a song together other than songs by themselves.Later on I did begin to like it because it was different from any other album that I've ever listened to groupwise.I feel like everyone has their own story with these solo songs.

I then later found out that this album is apart of the storyline that is fans have been trying to figure out, it's a continuation of their previous albums story line. It explains why things are the way they are and why it's happening.

1. Boy Meets Evil (Intro)

This is a solo of J-Hope, the main dancer and one of the rappers of the group, and he did a very good job with the choreography as well

I've liked BTS way before this album came out so this song when I first heard it was kind of weird because it was just him rapping and he started singing and I'm not used to that

I'm just used to him rapping so I kind of had a The heck is this moment but, soon this song became one of my favorites.

2. 피 땀 눈물 (Blood Sweat & Tears)

It's one of those songs that get stuck in your head, to the point you would find yourself singing "manhi manhi manhi(more more more)" in random moments.

The music video to me is one of the best music videos I've ever seen EVER. The music video is pretty long though. The choreography is pretty good. I've tried to learn it but it's so complicated.

The lyrics talk about love that outruns the pain coming from it. The verses repeat how the object of desire is wrong and bad, but they are willing to go for it and get hurt anyway.

3. Begin

This is the first solo song, from Jungkook. They put the solo songs from youngest member to oldest so starting with Jungkook because he is the youngest

The song is full of electronic sounds and blends well with Jungkook's voice. Overall I enjoy it, although I'm not crazy for it or anything. There is something very comforting about this song that I can't define with words.

The lyrics are about Jungkook himself, and how he admires and loves the other members (as is they are all his big brothers) you to the point he suffers the most when they are suffering.

4. Lie

The second solo, by Jimin. This song is my ultimate favorite out of all of the songs on this album because I love the way that Jimin's voice blends with the instruments and I just really love his voice.

The lyrics talk about how lies and being fake trapped him and brought him away from his innocent roots and real self.

5. Stigma

Another solo, this time from V. This song is a song that I use to listen to this song on a daily because his voice is bead and soulful and it's a very sad song but I love the way it's sounds.

The lyrics are... sad. They talk about a guilt that can't be washed away, and a desperate search for a forgiveness that won't erase the guilt anyway.

"I’m sorry I’m sorry.I’m sorry my sister. Even if I try to hide it or conceal it, it can’t be erased" there lyrics are saying that he has done something that forgiveness can't erase.

6. First Love

Suga's solo track, a smooth rap that sounds like a conversation but in a cool way. I actually like this song a lot but not as much as I love the other ones.

The lyrics talk about the relationship with Suga and the piano, or more in general music.

7. Reflection

Musically-wise, this solo from RM is a that i least like just because I don't really like the melody this  isn't one of those songs that I would go and put on just because

The lyrics are very self analyzing , and somehow I think they are harder to understand than the others. The song is emotional, although it might sound very simple to the ear.

8. Mama

J-Hope had two solos in this album, and he chose to dedicate the second one to his mother.

The first time I heard this song, it really messed up my feelings. I couldn't understand how could a song sound so happy and sweet, and at the same time so  sad at the same time. The lyrics are literally a message of thanking his mother, who always supported his love for dance.

9. Awake

Finally, the last solo, from Jin. An emotional song that became my second ultimate favorite from this album.

The melody is sweet and emotional, and I really like how Jin's voice flows with it.

The lyrics talk about how he is afraid he will not be able to fly high, but at the same time he likes the idea of even just dreaming it and reaching for it.

10. Lost

After the solos, here's a song performed by the only vocal line of the group Jin, Jimin, Taehyung(V). The lyrics are about the feeling of having to choose a path, but not knowing where to go.

11. BTS Cypher 4

This is a track from the only rap line Suga, J-Hope, RM, the fourth of a series of Cyphers BTS released in their previous albums.

The lyrics are pretty much about how the hate and the negative comments don't get to them at all, and how haters should just spend their time over themself rather than someone they dislike so much. A track with a nice vibe that charges you up. My favorite lyrics from this song is “Yall playa haters you should love yourself,” everytime that I hear them say that I get hype because I think the meaning of that part is that they are telling the haters to love themselves a much as they love hating on them

12. Am I Wrong

This song comes with a choreography, so you can go check it out if you didn't yet.

I'm not very fond of this song. The lyrics are probably a hit-or-miss and I think I never understood them completely, although it has got the vibe of a BTS song.

13. 21세기 소녀 (21st Century Girls)

A song about women empowerment (?). It has a catchy melody and it's yet another song that might easily get stuck in your thoughts.

It sound like something you would play in a club. I play it very rarely because although it's nice, it's also the kind of song that I wouldn't pick to play if I would pick one of their songs to play.

14. 둘! 셋! (2!3!) 그래도 좋은 날이 더 많기를(Hoping For More Good Days)

The first official song that BTS dedicated to their fandom, ARMY which I am apart of.

It's a sweet, emotional song, and I catch myself singing it sometimes. I actually  like it more for its meaning: the fact that BTS can be a consolation and sooth our pain when we have a bad time.

15. Wings (Interlude)

Last but not least, a soulful and very electronic conclusion to this album. The lyrics talk about having hopes and ambitions for the future despite starting with means that might not look good enough for them. My sister who doesn't like BTS she really loves this song.

In conclusion

This album is very good. The tracklist is really diverse, enough to make me believe anyone could find at least one song they like from it. I'm really glad I could get to know BTS with this album, because it really delivers how they can handle a wide variety of music styles and themes. It also features their solos and lets us know more about their inner self. I liked the "Jin and BTS" (if you want to know why “Jin and BTS” and not just BTS you would have to look up “ BTS Jin Theory”on youtube) because it gives some mystery like why is it mainly pictures of Jin and not just pictures of everyone equally? Makes you want to know why right?