Euphoria Season 2: A Sound to Remember | Teen Ink

Euphoria Season 2: A Sound to Remember

By liafayn BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
liafayn BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

Euphoria, the hit HBO show about the lives of high-schoolers in Southern California, is known for leaving viewers stunned after each episode through intoxicating plot-lines and captivating cinematography. However, the visual aspects of the show aren’t the only memorable parts. A crucial element of its storytelling lies in the soundtrack. Euphoria closed out its second season in late February, with 8 episodes that feature over 100 songs total. 

These songs aren’t simple background details, meant to fill out a moment in a party or the theme to a late night drive: they immortalize the scene. Fans would be able to identify a moment during the show just by the track playing in the background. Each musical feature is placed with intent, whether it's connecting characters or sneakily revealing different parts of them. The magic of Euphoria’s Season 2 soundtrack lies in its ability to seamlessly integrate music with narrative, allowing it to become its own character.

Though his participation in the soundtrack was limited compared to the first season, Labrinth, the composer for Euphoria, makes his ethereal presence known throughout the show. He is consistently able to push boundaries with genres and mood throughout each piece, a powerful force that has become a trademark of the show. His cameo in Episode 4 debuted “I’m Tired,” a standout moment from the season. The haunting song was performed live during the scene, bringing a necessary spiritual power to protagonist Rue’s internal battle. Switching synth for organ further emphasized the religious themes present throughout the scene’s church congregation. It is clear that without Labrinth’s iconic contributions, Euphoria would not be able to create the impact it has made on audiences today. From its release in February, “I’m Tired” has garnered over 25 million listens on Spotify today, truly demonstrating the impression the artist’s creation has made. 

The blending of modern music and contemporary classics is another crucial element of the season’s musical composition. Jen Malone, the lead music supervisor from Euphoria, was able to make song choices from the 70s and 80s relevant to the Gen-Z characters’ various turmoils, driving home the necessary intensity no matter the time period. Sinéad O’Connor’s “Drink Before the War,” released in 1987, was used to eerily parallel the characters of Cassie and Cal through their drunken meltdowns. “Call Me Irresponsible,” by Bobby Darin, reflects on Rue’s own irresponsibility with her addiction as she dances in her room. The lyrics, “Call me irresponsible/call me unreliable/Throw in undependable too,” perfectly highlight the foundation of many of Rue’s arguments with her family. Many iconic song choices of the season rely on modern genres, as well. “Haunted,” by Laura Les, is a hyper-pop single used in Episode 2. The frenzied vocals and bass contrast the generally withdrawn character of Lexi, but ultimately provide a look inside her considerable development for the season.

Overall, Euphoria’s Season 2 soundtrack transcended time and genre to create an unforgettable part of the show. Whether it was heartbreaking or blood-pumping, each accompaniment was able to strike through and evoke emotion from the audience. The musical legacy of Euphoria lives on beyond the limits of a curated playlist; it is fused to the core of every scene.