Not a pop song by Little Mix | Teen Ink

Not a pop song by Little Mix

August 19, 2022
By Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other
103 articles 7 photos 1819 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)


Being the dulcet Brits and also one of the biggest girl groups of all time, the Little Mix keeps on rocking with their fantabulous songs. Originated in London, the group is composed of Leigh-Anne Pinnock, Jade Thirlwall, Perrie Edwards, and also Jesy Nelson, before she parted ways with the group in December 2020.


Little Mix has sold more than 60 million records all around the world since the year 2011. Most of their songs are inspiring and are admired by many of their fans worldwide. One of such songs is 'Not a Pop Song' which is the third single off of their sixth studio album 'Confetti'. The single addresses the comments on their songs which say that the songs are 'childish'.


In the first verse, Jade sings about the utopian expectations of everyone towards one another. Everybody expects one another to be perfect but when in reality nobody can ever achieve 'perfectness'. It is at the worst level when it comes to superstars. Their fans as well as their haters expect them to be camera-perfect so that some of them even go to extremes to maintain their physical features to look the best and be more adroit. The music of Little Mix is criticized for 'being childish in nature' and is often referred to as 'bubblegum pop'. Turning the table, Little Mix says that this is the song that pops the bubblegum.


During the chorus, all of the Little Mix girls harmonise their vocals for the chorus and that is my favourite thing about them. No one gets to be the hero and no one gets to be the sidekick. Each of them gets equal attention and equal recognition.


In the second verse, both Jesy and Perrie hurl out their thoughts on what it is like to be a marionette of a record label. They get work after work, leaving less space for them to be themselves just like the hamster that continuously spins on the wheel. They are forced to sing to top the charts. And they 'fake it till they make it' by being someone other than themselves.


I think that this song is a mirror to the untold story of the celebrities who are picture-perfect but broken to pieces and crushed deep inside by the thoughts and wishes of others. Listening to this song would remind us, not to be the puppet for someone else and to embrace who we are and what we want to be and fill our minds with the theme, 'Not a puppet'. I highly recommend this song for you to listen to, get inspired and enjoy!


The author's comments:

#NotAPuppet