The Bravery Of Kendrick Lamar’s Mr. Morale And The Big Steppers | Teen Ink

The Bravery Of Kendrick Lamar’s Mr. Morale And The Big Steppers MAG

January 26, 2023
By J24JN BRONZE, Short Hills, New Jersey
J24JN BRONZE, Short Hills, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The critically acclaimed Kendrick Lamar returned to the music scene in May 2022, releasing his first studio album since April of 2017. Titled “Mr. Morale And The Big Steppers,” the project features 19 songs at a run time of one hour and 18 minutes. In the past, Lamar has been known to use his sharp lyricism and phenomenal vocal performance to communicate political statements to his listeners, while also telling the story of his life. He would often reference his childhood in Compton, California, as a young boy who idolized the likes of 2pac, Biggie, and Snoop Dogg. After cementing his legacy in the hip-hop world with his 2015 album “To Pimp A Butterfly,” Lamar’s growing fanbase labeled him as the savior of rap music and youth culture. Standards like these put tremendous pressure on the young rapper to be an impactful voice to listeners around the world. Somewhat unexpectedly, Lamar went silent for five years. Not a single interview, social media post, or song released. When he announced his upcoming album, Lamar sent the hip-hop community into a frenzy. However, many fans were left in shock at the album they would soon receive.

The record is by far Lamar’s most personal and vulnerable. The very first song, “United In Grief,” deals with themes such as being overwhelmed by fame, using money to cope with trauma, and being addicted to drugs and alcohol. Rather than following his earlier work and making music about a struggling society, Lamar points the spotlight at his own individual struggles. Each song dives deeper into Lamar’s life and mind. While many fans may have been dying to experience Lamar’s greatness, they instead were introduced to his weakness. Each song focuses on different aspects of Lamar’s trials and tribulations. The track “Father Time” centers around Lamar’s rocky relationship with his father, while on “Crown,” Lamar talks about the anxiety he experienced due to his success in the music industry. Lamar’s message shouldn’t be taken lightly. The expectations that were put on him to save the next generation and guide them into the future were too heavy for his own health.

Lamar takes his audience on yet another emotional journey with possibly the most powerful song on the album, “Mother I Sober.” Lamar pours his heart out lyrically in this song, and it can be heard in his voice. He references growing up around violence and abuse, getting wrapped up in his own stardom, and trying to fix his family while also managing his own career. Toward the end of the track, Lamar’s tone intensifies as he speaks on his frustrations with racism and the trauma that has haunted his family for generations. As the end of the album nears, Lamar speaks directly to his fanbase on the track “Mirror.” At the song’s core, Lamar is telling his fans that he cannot save them and, quite frankly, is battling to save himself. Finally, the record culminates with “The Heart Part 5.” A beautiful outro that revisits each message Lamar wants to communicate; from his past to his mental state and his thoughts on society in general. As the end of the song approaches, one of Lamar’s final lines is, “You can’t help the world until you help yourself.” This a strong statement that embodies the record perfectly. With this, the album concludes.

What elevates great artists above their competition is their motive. Each year new artists skyrocket in popularity but are forgotten soon after. The initial passion these musicians had to create and inspire is overtaken by a desire to create radio hits, earn sponsorships, and make the most money possible. Because of this, their music suffers. Compare these artists to those who never lose their passion for art. Lamar did not create this album to please his fans, the industry, or anyone who may decide to listen to it. Lamar bares his soul on this record without fear of how it may be received. While many fans thought they were suffering by not hearing from Lamar for the past five years, most didn’t realize that he was trying to heal from the suffering they had inflicted on him. Despite this, the album is, in many ways, a love letter from Lamar to his supporters. He begs them to listen to him, to learn from his trials, and reevaluate their perspective on life. Lamar calls his fans beautiful and tells them to let good prevail. While he isn’t a savior, he has certainly changed lives. This album should be remembered as an act of incredible courage by Lamar. Without such courage, beautiful music could never exist.