Review of Weezer's "Island in the Sun" | Teen Ink

Review of Weezer's "Island in the Sun" MAG

May 15, 2023
By Matte_F1n1sh BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Matte_F1n1sh BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Let’s take a vacation back to 2001 when this song was released. What was originally not going to be included as part of their Green Album, “Island In The Sun” by Weezer, checks all the boxes as a hit that will send you back into summer. This song introduced me to the band and instantly got me to check out the rest of their music. “Island In The Sun” is the band’s biggest hit outside the United States, with the alternative rock genre helping this song reach where it is now. The band had struggled to find the style they wanted when it was being created, and decided during production that it was supposed to be more upbeat. But with all their struggles, they made one of the greatest, if not the greatest, songs in their library. 

Weezer is one of my favorite bands, and this melodic masterpiece is one of my favorite songs of theirs. It is probably their most recognizable, and for good reason. This song went through so many changes before it was finally released. They wanted this song to hit hard without sounding like it. The power pop feeling of the lyrics probably moved me the most. “We’ll spend some time, forever” is perhaps my favorite line in music history. “Island in the Sun” feels much lighter than the album’s first song, “Hash Pipe.” It is also their first-ever song with a fade-out ending instead of a straight cut. Melissa Bobbitt from About.com says, “[‘Island in the Sun’] exemplifies a relaxed Southern California spirit,” which should give you an idea of the type of song this is. 

“Island in the Sun” is an infectious and memorable song that captures the essence of carefree summer days. With its upbeat tempo, catchy melody, and uplifting lyrics, it’s easy to see why it has become a fan favorite and a staple of Weezer’s whole portfolio. The band’s signature blend of power pop and alternative rock creates a unique, nostalgic, and contemporary sound. “Island in the Sun” is a feel-good anthem that will put a smile on your face and transport you to a sunny paradise.


The author's comments:

This was created as an assignment for my Dual Credit Music class my senior year of high school. Although I was forced to write this, this is still one of my favorite songs to date, and I hope that others that see this article will be inclined to give it a listen.