Bailey Zimmerman's Religiously Album Review | Teen Ink

Bailey Zimmerman's Religiously Album Review

By greta-gundrum BRONZE, Hartford, Wisconsin
greta-gundrum BRONZE, Hartford, Wisconsin

In the music world, you either become a huge sensation or a one hit wonder. Which will be the fate for new country star Bailey Zimmerman? 

Bailey Zimmerman has recently released his debut album Religiously. This newcomer has made his mark in the country music world by touring with celebrities like Hardy and Morgan Wallen, but will his mark stick around? 

The country music genre provides melody, lyrics, and tune for every occasion. You have songs for heartbreaks, beachdays, 4th of july, everything. Zimmerman's Album is centered on heartbreak. Almost every song in the album is about a relationship going wrong. Every song is unique and tells a powerful message.

In “Is This Really Over?”. Zimmerman goes into lots of detail in the song: “The way you slammed that door and threw your car in drive never even looked over your shoulder, is this really over?”

With his elaborate detail he manages to turn this story of a complex heartbreak into a song. The melody is calm and peaceful which makes the song easy to follow and not messy or busy. 

“Fadeaway” is one of the few songs on the album that is upbeat. Fadeaway tells another heartbreak story, but unlike Is This Really Over. Fadeaway does not make you want to sob. It fills you with anger and energy. The ability to do this with music is a really important skill to have. Listening to Fadeaway changes your mood completely and makes you connect to the song. Even if you have never experienced the heartbreak that Zimmerman has in Fadeaway he makes you feel like you did first hand. Fadeaway might be the best song on Zimmerman's album.

You Don't Want That Smoke is a powerful song in Zimmerman's album. Yet again it is about a heartbreak, but Zimmerman takes a different approach to explain the pain he is feeling. In the song Zimmerman compares the girl that broke his heart to a cigarette. There are lines like, “She'll love you 'til the filter and leave you in the ash.” In this line Zimmerman compares the girl to simple parts of a cigarette that turn out to be complex. Another line “You think you're just taking a drag, But you're playing with the fire that'll burn you if you get too close.” I really like the comparison that Zimmerman makes. A cigarette is not the first thing someone would think of when they get their heartbroken. This unique approach completes the song and makes Zimmerman stand out as an artist.  

At the CMA’s Bailey Zimmerman was awarded with number 1 new male artist of the year. I think this award was well deserved. Zimmerman's album is phenomenal. The lyrics in Fadeaway, Is This Really Over, You Don't Want That Smoke are powerful. The messages in each song are unique yet relatable to many. The melodies are all catchy and will definitely make any car jam session enjoyable. Zimmerman's songs in this album are all about heartbreak and although they are amazing I feel that for him to continue to grow his music career he will need to have more variety. If he masters this Bailey Zimmerman and definitely be the next Morgan Wallen.  

This piece is about Bailey Zimmermans new album Religiously. Zimmerman is a new country star that has recently been getting lots of recognition.