Luke Combs' "Growin' Up and Gettin' Old" Tour | Teen Ink

Luke Combs' "Growin' Up and Gettin' Old" Tour

By llfredman2 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
llfredman2 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Luke Combs’ 2024 “Growin’ Up and Gettin’ Old” kicked off on April 12, 2024. The 25 date tour’s first two shows were at American Family Field in Milwaukee. The tour is highly anticipated, especially with Luke’s latest album, “Gettin’ Old,” garnering critical acclaim and earning Grammy nominations.

I attended the first show of the weekend, on Friday. The parking situation was decently navigable, if not time consuming, simply due to the impatient nature of Milwaukee drivers and poor traffic directing. Getting into the building and through security was quick and relatively painless. However, if you find yourself seated on one of the upper levels, making your way through the booted and jeaned masses is a bit of a challenge. I recommend you get there at least an hour before the show starts if you want to be in your seat, with snacks and drinks, by showtime. For reference, the show was listed to start at 5:45, and Luke didn’t actually come on stage until 9:00. If you’re wanting to see the openers, get there as early as 5:30.

The two openers on opening night were Charles Wesley Godwin and Cody Jinks and, in my eyes, the two could not differ more. 

Charles Wesley Godwin is a powerful songwriter with an enchanting voice. His popular songs “Cue Country Roads” and “All Again” from his latest album, Family Ties, were both performed, Though they are opposites in subject matter, both are masterfully written and produced. His lyricism appeals to all sorts of people, and the melodies of his music vary from powerful rock-country fusions to emotional, lilting blues. He is a force to be reckoned with and I am grateful to have seen him perform.

For Cody Jinks, I have two words: overrated and underwhelming. He did not move around the stage, did not give his band any credit, and simply stood there, strumming his guitar, in a t- shirt and sunglasses. I was confused at the enthusiastic screams of, “CODY!” coming from the section behind me. When he came on stage and began performing a song I couldn’t tell you the name of–because all of his songs sound the exact same–with such little energy, I shared a look with my mom that said “Really? THAT’S what they’re hollering for?” Despite this, I’ve gotta give Cody some credit. Somehow, someway, he has garnered a loyal following, and the energy of the crowd after his set certainly helped in getting me excited for the rest of the concert.

Now, when it comes to the performance of Luke Combs himself—I find myself disappointed. Luke Combs is a talented songwriter and performer, but I found the majority of his songs lacked lyrical depth. Many of the songs he performed fit the stereotype that all country music is about beer, old guitars, women loving and leaving, hunting, some more beer, tractors, dogs, trucks, and, just to even everything out, a few more cans of beer.

It’s not all bad, though. He has a rich, smooth, and well controlled voice, and he really uses it to his advantage in his song,“Where the Wild Things Are.” I would be lying if I said I didn’t feel a little tug on my heartstrings during that song, and I saw a couple teary-eyed attendees in the candied nuts line afterwards. Thinking I had been wrong, and that Luke Combs CAN write emotional songs (other than “Beautiful, Crazy”), I looked up the song to add it to my playlist. Imagine my surprise when I found it wasn’t written by Luke himself. 

Luke Combs, overall, is a huge talent, and put on a good show. He has an incredible amount of potential, if he can just figure out how to bring lyrical and vocal depth to more of his songs, not just keep writing the same worn out story he sings in “When It Rains It Pours,” “Beer Never Broke My Heart,” “Going, Going, Gone,” “Beer Can,” “Cold As You,” “What Was I Thinkin’?," "1, 2 Many,” and an exhausting amount of others. 

If you find yourself enjoying these songs, then by all means, go to Luke Comb’s “Growin’ Up and Gettin’ Old” tour, and enjoy yourself! However, this show, apart from the small performance by Charles Wesley Godwin, was not my cup of tea.