Never Trust a Happy Song by Grouplove | Teen Ink

Never Trust a Happy Song by Grouplove MAG

By CarrieSElam PLATINUM, West Liberty, Kentucky
CarrieSElam PLATINUM, West Liberty, Kentucky

" When you Grow Up, Your Heart Dies."- Ally Sheedy ( The Breakfast Club, 1985)

“And in the end, we were all just humans.. drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.”

"Groovy Like a Drive In movie"

“Never Trust a Happy Song” is the debut album of the new band Grouplove, who are a perfect mix of alternative rock and indie pop. Their music has that upbeat, dance-like vibe, and here's a bonus – the songs are actually good! You can tell that a lot of thought and heart went into them, and lead singers Christian Zucconi and Hannah Hooper have pleasing voices.

The band was created by Zucconi, Hooper, and their friends Andrew Wessen, Ryan Rabin, and Sean Gadd in 2009. But it wasn't until May 2010 that Grouplove played their first show at El Cid in Los Angeles. Later that year, the band went on two tours, one on the West Coast and another on the East Coast. By November, Grouplove had been written up in Nylon as one of the “Best New Bands in 2010.” Eventually they signed with Canvasback/Atlantic records.

In 2011, Grouplove released their debut album, “Never Trust a Happy Song.” This was a breath of fresh air in the alternative/indie scene, and it was successful with most critics too. Spin gave it a 7/10 – pretty impressive for a debut, right?

The band's writing is unique and resists the generic love song mold. The hit single “Tongue Tied” – about not wanting to trip on your words and lose your chance with that person you love – stayed on the Modern Rock radio chart for 26 consecutive weeks, hitting number one in June 2012.

Grouplove is a young but determined band that has proved itself countless times. The first single, “Colors,” reached number 12 on the Modern Rock charts, and their third single, “Itchin' on a Photograph,” was in the top ten. They have had a long tour, giving the band experience; they have even sold out shows.

Grouplove is going somewhere, and fast. I look forward to listening to their second studio album, “Spreading Rumours” (released last September), and any other work they do in the future.

Grouplove is here to stay. Give this album a listen. You might just find your new favorite band.