“Hairspray” Soundtrack | Teen Ink

“Hairspray” Soundtrack MAG

The “Hairspray” soundtrack is filled with songs from the original Broadway musical and others created specifically for the movie. The album features old-fashioned ’60s music and is full of energy and feel-good songs that are fun and easy to sing along to. The soundtrack explores many issues of that time and some that even still happen today, such as racism and self-image issues. The cast, including Zac Efron, John Travolta, Queen Latifah, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Nikki Blonsky, come together to create a soundtrack that people of all ages can enjoy.

While in my opinion there is not one bad song here, there are a few that stand out because of their quirky lyrics and energy. “(You’re) Timeless to Me,” with John Travolta and Christopher Walken as Edna and Wilbur Turnblad, is not only humorous but well performed. This classic song will attract adults with its soft yet upbeat rhythm. “Without Love,” sung by Efron, Blonsky, Amanda Bynes, and Elijah Kelly, is no doubt the best song by the younger members.

However, my favorite is “You Can’t Stop the Beat,” performed by the entire cast at the end of the movie. When I say people danced out of the theater, I am not exaggerating. With its upbeat tempo, meaningful yet fun lyrics, and great performances, this song soars above the rest.

This soundtrack rises above others of its kind. What sets the “Hairspray” soundtrack apart is not just the talent of its performers, the lyrics, the tune or rhythm, but its originality. Normally I skip some songs simply because I can’t sing along to them in the car. But, while listening to “Hairspray,” I find my finger does not ever reach for the “skip” button.

If you were interested at all in the first “Hairspray” movie, or the Broadway musical, this soundtrack is a can’t-miss. The original Broadway show cannot compare to this. And if you thought you had no interest in “Hairspray,” prepare to be surprised. The cast and songwriters have exceeded all other soundtracks to make this CD one that every child, teen, and adult should own.

emjay1216 SILVER, Eugene, Oregon

Often times, the test of courage is not to die, but to live.
~ Vittorio Alfieri

i luv hairspray 2!!! my fav song is nicest kids in town

Divazrok said...
I don't like Nikki Blonsky.She is mean because of the Bianca incident!!!!!!!!!!!!!!