John Mayer | Teen Ink

John Mayer MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Evenas we rushed to the Oakdale Theatre, knowing that we still had to find the girlwho'd sold us our tickets on eBay, we were thrilled to be on our way to thesold-out John Mayer concert.

We arrived, and though everything worked out,let me suggest that if you don't have to resort to getting tickets on eBay,don't. The whole process was way too stressful!

No one on the East Coasthad really heard of the opening band, Maroon 5, although they are a big hit inCalifornia. After watching them, I think their popularity here willgrow.

Mayer unexpectedly came out during one of the opening act's songsand played with them, which was a pleasant surprise for all.

Then thelights went down except for a spotlight on a chair and microphone in the middleof the stage. Then he walked out - the 6' 4" Connecticut native was ready toperform for his home state.

The screams were loud as Mayer opened with"Love Soon," followed by "No Such Thing." The crowd went wildfor every song. At times he went off into wonderful jams that mesmerized thecrowd. He made each song special in a different way; in "Your Body is aWonderland," he had the crowd sing along.

He also played with thelyrics; in one song he included his hometown, and dedicated a song to all hisfriends in the audience. This made the concert very special to the Connecticutcrowd.

After an hour and a half of performing, and switching guitars witheach song, Mayer began to wrap up. I knew he couldn't leave without an encore,and he returned for four more songs before the show came to an end with "St.Patrick's Day."

We left in awe. From his voice to his ability to playthe guitar to his crazy facial expressions, John Mayer was the topic of ourconversation all night.