Transpose by Bad Suns | Teen Ink

Transpose by Bad Suns MAG

April 20, 2014
By super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas
super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas
30 articles 9 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out!"


Bad Suns are rising.

In its debut EP, “Transpose,” the band breaks through the clouds and illuminates its path to relevance. Widely viewed as up-and-coming in the indie scene, Bad Suns shines with exceptional vocals, instrumental diversity, and production.

Formed in 2012, the California-based band is relatively young, with members in their late teens and early twenties. The group began its career touring with the likes of The 1975 and The Vaccines, and only recently found itself rising to prominence. Bad Suns released its first album this June and many expect it to surge in popularity, just as Bastille did two years ago.

The band incorporates an impressive number of unique sounds on its debut EP. Lead singer Christo Bowman admits to being heavily influenced by rock bands of the '70s and '80s, and it shows. On the title track, the band supplies a healthy dose of traditional guitar and mixes it into the modern popular indie style. This type of melting-pot innovation is comparable to that of The Cars in the late '70s. The Clash and The Cure are also noted as major inspirations.

Bowman's smooth vocals are an ideal fit for the group's wavy, dreamlike melodies. This complementary combo is especially successful in the track “Salt.”

The lyrics on the album are impressive for Bowman's experience level. While most novice songwriters lean on clichés or simple rhyme schemes, his work is in a world of its own. This creative leap brings substance to Bad Suns' music, which is rare to find today.

“Cardiac Arrest” dominates the EP. Led by midnight guitars, a forceful beat, and a chorus bursting with sound, the song seems destined to make a strong presence on alternative radio. The other three songs could also be quality singles, showing the band's consistency.

“Transpose” is one of the most spectacular releases of the year. While the band does not severely challenge the status quo of today's indie scene, it manages to find creativity within the boundaries and excels in all musical categories. If the band continues creating such quality work, do not expect the Bad Suns to be setting anytime soon.