Where Did the Originality Go? | Teen Ink

Where Did the Originality Go?

By CaeXW BRONZE, Milford, Delaware
CaeXW BRONZE, Milford, Delaware

Okay, so I was listening to The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus' album today on their MySpace page. I was really impressed... in the beginning. What happened? It started off good with "You Better Pray" and then kicked in with a bunch of softer melodic junk from there. "Senioritis" was a pretty good song too, but why did it have to be so short? This is definitely not the previous hardcore RJA, no, this is much softer.

I really respect everything that they write, the music that they play, and their experiences and talents, but this was seriously a letdown for me. On the previous album, they had two acoustic tracks if I remember correctly. The rest of the album was full of electric guitar and screaming.

I really hope that the band is going to play those older songs too on the tour, because the new songs don't really represent who The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus was before. On this whole album, "Lonely Road", I get 2 lines of scream in the first song? Is that a tactic to draw more people into listening to the rest?

Thankfully, I have a wide variety of musical tastes, and this album wasn't a total flop. It showed a lot of Ronnie's vocals from "In Fate's Hands", and even a more soulful side, which I was surprised.

I really hope that the next album will be more rock and roll, because this was obviously just a plot to put RJA in the mainstream.

I wrote this article to give my opinion on the album before it's release date; Customer's may want to read my review before purchasing it.

Release Date: 2/3/09
Virgin Records