Supernatural | Teen Ink

Supernatural

January 22, 2019
By Emo_In_The_Closet SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Emo_In_The_Closet SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Saving people and hunting things is the family business.” “Supernatural” is a TV series that is excellent, for those who like horror and supernatural or paranormal creatures/occurrences. It is available on Netflix, yet there are over 10 seasons. So, covering all of the series would take a lot of paper. I will just explain what is excellent about the first season, starting with the story, then the problems and conflict, then the characters.

Dean and Sam Winchester were children who lived with their mother and father, Mary and John. They were a happy, normal family. That is, until the ‘incident’. Sam, who was a baby, was crying for his mom. She went to check on him, but her husband was already there, cradling him. She went downstairs and realized the man upstairs wasn’t her husband. She hurried upstairs, but it was too late. John heard her scream and rushed upstairs. He found nothing in Sam’s room until he looked up; Mary was strapped to the ceiling. All of a sudden, she burst to flames. Dean came into the room, afraid. His father told him to take Sam and run outside. A couple minutes later, he ran out with them. Ever since that day, he has been searching for the entity who killed Mary. One day, he disappeared, and Sam and Dean were tasked to find him. A recording was left for Dean so that he could follow John’s trail. He managed to persuade Sam to come with him. Along the way, they helped people with paranormal or strange experiences.

Sam and Dean were now in their 20s and began taking tasks from people. Wendigos, banshees, shapeshifters, doppelgangers, spiteful souls, demons, and more, they had seen and defeated. Through the months, and years, of searching for John, they have almost died many times. The first time was Sam, who confronted a Woman in White, named Constance. A Woman in White, otherwise known as a Weeping Woman, is a spirit that is born when a married woman is betrayed or rejected by their husband. After the rejection, she kills her children (in this case by drowning) and commits suicide. She had committed the two unforgivable sins; murder and suicide. She is forced to roam as a spirit, searching for her children so she can apologize to them. She hunts unfaithful men and asks them to take her “home”. The man will arrive at an abandoned structure. She will then kill them there. She was just about to kill Sam when Dean shot her. Another time was when Bloody Mary escaped the spiritual world and was attempting to rip their eyes out. The only reason they survived was that Dean happened to seize another mirror to shield himself, and she saw her reflection. Dean is known for being a lawbreaker. He always lies and buys fake IDs so that nobody knows who they really are. Making it easy for police officers to be suspicious of them.

Since his mother died, Dean hasn’t done much in the way of school or productivity. He had just been going on hunting trips with his father. He is known for being super protective of his black car, and being rebellious. Sam, on the other hand, went to college and was going to become a lawyer. But, his girlfriend, Jess, died the same way that his mom died, and he needed to prevent the being from taking more lives, so he joined Dean in the search for his father. Sam is always skeptical about Dean’s absurd ideas, which is expected. Their father seems to be leading them on a trail, and being mysterious on purpose. We haven’t yet figured out why John is so secretive and is sending his clients to his sons. The monsters are each scary in their own way. Each monster has a story, a weakness, and a death, or is set free. Most of them were slain or banished by Dean. With a little help from Sam, of course.

Supernatural has a compelling story, intense problems, and characters that each have a unique personality. Like Dean always said, “You always have a choice. You can roll over and die, or you can keep fighting, no matter what.” He still believes that he can find his father. Eventually, he will, but not in the way he expected. Being a horror and supernatural enthusiast myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this series. It’s packed full of suspense, mystery, and action. The only thing I can complain about is not watching it sooner.