Social Dilemma | Teen Ink

Social Dilemma MAG

By ZhuyuxinCindy SILVER, Hangzhou, Other
ZhuyuxinCindy SILVER, Hangzhou, Other

Reflect our lives through film and television

From the perspectives of Silicon Valley employees, this documentary named “Social Dilemma” tells the erosion of individual humans and the entire human civilization by the booming social software in the last decade. The thing is that in a free market, a company will make money as the only standard to evaluate their developments. Several large companies in Silicon Valley take advantage of human psychological weakness and use sophisticated algorithms to attract individuals to spend a lot of time on their social software. These companies use the time spent by customers as a competitive bargaining chip, enticing advertisers to invest in the software they develop in order to make a profit. However, this situation makes extremely harmful impact for human development.

Nowadays, the characteristic of social software is that it tempts people to use it, attracts people's attention and wastes people's time. In other words, such social software can be addictive, just like tobacco, alcohol and drugs. But the result is also the same. After a short period of happiness, people will feel tired and empty. For example, in this documentary, the managers of Twitter and Facebook tell that the theoretical basis of their design logic is the addiction theory in psychology. The news that people see on the app are tailored for every unique individual. These companies use sophisticated algorithms to analyze people's preferences in order to attract people. However, people's thoughts will gradually become unitary in this software-dominated world. When a person is systematically exposed to the same type of a news for a long time, he will be brainwashed by the opinions in it over time and gradually lose his critical thinking abilities. In this way, the expressions of individuals will be more emotional and a more neutral and rational point of view will no longer exist.

In addition, In the information era with numerous news, people no longer have the patience to read every point of view and analyze the problem objectively and comprehensively. Instead of this, they are more inclined to quickly browse through a few points of view and quickly form their own conclusions. Besides this, they are more inclined to choose views that are the same as their values, and never want to accept new ideas.

I considered this situation is similar to the concept named “McDonaldization” established by a famous sociologist called George Ritzer. He pointed out that:“The norms of fast-food restaurants which are efficiency, computability, controllability are gradually dominating more and more levels of American society and the rest of the world”Nowadays, the channels through which people obtain information and news are presented after sophisticated calculations by social software, which represents a kind of controllability. Furthermore, people do not have the patience to read all news, but quickly select and browse the information that is consistent with their own values, which reflects a kind of efficiency. In this case, people will not only be addicted to the Internet, but will gradually lose their ability to think independently, and even gradually lose their humanity.

But fortunately, people have the ability to reflect. This documentary is the beginning of reflection in the face of the dangerous trend of Internet capital power constantly eroding our thinking independence in life. In today's information era, the most important thing is self-control and critical thinking. Social software is a tool that we use, and don't let us be the driven one, a tool for capital profit.