Bon Voyage Fast Forwarded | Teen Ink

Bon Voyage Fast Forwarded

By LilahDingas BRONZE, Warrington, Pennsylvania
LilahDingas BRONZE, Warrington, Pennsylvania

Gilmore Girls is a television series that aired from 2000-2007, which has touched mothers and daughters around the globe. In the small town of Stars Hollow, Rory and Lorelai are beloved. Lorelai is a single mother who had Rory at 16. The two are inseparable best friends. “Bon Voyage” is a farewell to Rory and the show. Since Rory was a child, she wanted to go to Harvard to study journalism, on her way to being Christiane Amanpour.

During this final episode, Mrs. Amanpour happened to be staying at the Inn which Lorelai owns. When they meet, Rory is promised a good word to be put in for her. This was a significant moment in the episode and effects the plot. Soon after the help from Christiane Amanpour, Rory receives news of a journalist spot opening in Obama’s Campaign. She goes to am interview for the job and gets it. The issue is Rory and Lorelai had the whole summer planned together, but with this new job, she must leave in 3 days. Should she stay or go? Are her mom’s feelings more important than a dream come true? As someone who has watched the whole show 4 times, there is no doubt that Rory must take this job to open more windows and opportunities to her.

Every Friday night since Rory was 15, they have attended dinner at her grandparents’ house, with whom Lorelai has a complicated relationship with. She arrived late due to the interview and informs her family of the good news. The room is glowing with joy then quickly falls silent and somber. Shortly after the announcement, Emily says, “So, this is our last Friday night dinner for who knows how long?” This was a weak moment for Emily, as she doesn’t express her emotions much. During the show, there are rare occurrences where Emily breaks down in front of people. She is a blunt and cold person, but it has been hinted through the show that she may be more open with her husband.

There was always a spotlight on Rory in the town, so it’s no surprise that people in their quaint town wanted to throw a surprise farewell party. When it was discovered that it was going to rain for when the party was planned, the townspeople were in a panic. Luke Danes was a father figure for Rory while her father was mostly absent. Regardless of the relationship status between him and Lorelai, he never changed with Rory. He helped her grow up and contributed to her as a person and kept a stable role in Rory’s life. This plays a huge role in the party and Rory’s life in general. Luke spent all night connecting tarps to make a tent to fit everyone in town under.

During this party though, why is it that Rory’s best friend is the only other young adult her age? Being anyone other than Rory in Stars Hallow must be exhausting since it seems as if she is the only one of importance. So, it is no surprise that there weren’t many other people her age in attendance. I don’t blame them! Although Rory is still a sweet person, she made significant mistakes. These mistakes were hard to forget and especially hard to forgive. These mistakes were made in many parts of her life but especially relationships. Besides the fact that she is the main character, what is Rory’s significance to the town? Nothing much honestly.

The lingering question throughout the whole episode is: Will Lorelai’s relationship with her parents stay the same? They have had many disagreements, but that doesn’t change their love for each other. Lorelai reassures her parents that she will continue to return to Friday night dinner while Rory is gone. Expressing a sense of sadness and happiness, all throughout the episode the Gilmores are happy for their family to move onto a new stage. Emily gives a final goodbye saying, “It’s an honor to be your grandmother, Rory Gilmore.” This is one of the biggest goodbyes the family has faced yet and will take adjusting for all of them. They don’t know what the future holds for them.

Dear Gilmores,

It was an honor to watch this show, and Bon Voyage!

Gilmore Girls is more than a TV show. It has impacted my life in more ways than one and I hope to encourage others to watch it.