Outer Banks | Teen Ink

Outer Banks

By TaylinS BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
TaylinS BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“We’re the pogues and our mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time,” said John B Routledge. These exact words are what start off John B’s summer in the TV show Outer Banks. I really enjoyed watching this show, that is why I am recommending it to you. With all three of the different seasons, they are very much connected but at the same time, they are completely different. It teaches a lot of good lessons in life and how important friends actually are. It shows how even through the tough times and if you surround yourself with the right people, that you will get through it in the end. Warning there might be a couple of spoilers ahead.
In season 1 we get introduced to 4 long-time friends who rank in the group called the Pogues. The pogues are what people call “ the working class”, they have to work for what they want and they don’t have a lot of money. The other group is called the Kooks. The kooks are the kind of people who live on the wealthier side of the island and have a lot more money than the pogues. JJ, Kiara, Pope, and John B are the 4 main characters in the show. They are always up to no good and they love to go on little adventures which they like to call “missions”. We get introduced to the Cameron family. The Cameron family is made up of Ward, Rose, Rafe, Sarah, and Weezie. The Cameron family lives on the “kook” side of the island in a huge mansion. The show is based in Charleston, South Carolina, where the 4 long time friends live. John B has been on his own for almost a whole year after his father left to go somewhere but never told anyone where he was going. Since it has been almost a year everyone thinks that he is dead at sea. We later find out that John B’s dad, who is known as Big John, went on an adventure to find the Royal Merchant. The Royal Merchant is a big ship that went missing after it got lost at sea during a big storm. The ship was carrying over 400 million dollars of treasure on board. The first ever mission that they went on was to try and find the Royal Merchant and try to finish what Big John had started. The reason why they went on the mission to find the gold was because before John B had found a gold compass that later played a huge role in the whole mission.
In season 2 we later find out that Pope is related to one of the passengers on the Royal Merchant. The person Pope is related to is Denmark Tanning. The pogues are set on going on a mission to find the cross of Santo Domingo. The cross of Santo Domingo is a cross that was a gift from New Spain to the Spanish king. The cross is 7 feet tall and made from gold and jewels. Before the pogues could go find the cross, Pope had to go on his own mission to find the key to the cross. John B is now dating Sarah Cameron for a little bit now but nobody approves of it. Ward Cameron and Big John were really close before he went missing. They also had been working together to try and find the Royal Merchant. After John B got framed in Season 1 for something that he didn’t do, he and Sarah had to run away so that he wouldn’t get wrongfully convicted. Towards the end of season 2, The Camerons kidnap Sarah because she is hanging out with John B and the Pogues too much. At the very end of season 2, we get left with a huge cliffhanger that surprises everyone. Nobody believed that it was real until they saw it with their own eyes.
In season 3 it is filled with highs and lows and ups and downs. After season 2 leaves us on a cliffhanger with someone from the past coming back to life. After everyone has seen the cross and it keeps going back and forth between the pogues and the kooks, someone decides to end it once and for all. The Camerons are the last people to get ahold of the cross of Santo Domingo before they finally decide to melt the gold so that nobody gets the actual cross and they think that they will get more money by selling it. Finally, after a couple of years of the whole adventure to find the missing gold from the Royal Merchant, they think they finally know where the gold has been hiding, in the middle of a house. Later on, they go on another mission to find more gold which happens to be in the middle of a Jungle. JJ, Kiera, Pope, John B, and a new character named Cleo go to find the gold so that they can complete the mission and show the town that they aren’t bad kids. Once they get to the jungle they realize that they are being followed by Ward. Ward has been on the Royal Merchant treasure ever since he and Big John started looking. He just wants to get his hands on any gold or treasure there is. By the end of season 3 the town of Charleston appreciates them so much more than they did before.
I enjoyed watching Outer Banks and I would recommend it to people who like a show that contains lots of plot twists, highs and lows, amazing characters, and a wonderful plot. The characters are amazing in the roles that they play because it does not even seem like it is a TV show, it feels like it's in real life. The plot is also really good because if you think something is done or not going to happen, it surprises you and leaves you on cliffhangers a lot. I am also really happy because they are coming out with season 4. I am excited to see what they come up with for season 4 and see if they add any more characters or what is gonna happen. So far the only place to watch Outer Banks is on Netflix. I like watching it on Netflix because they don’t make you wait every week for a different episode to come out. I would recommend this to people who are interested in mysteries and shows that leave you on the edge of your seat or someone who even just needs a good laugh.