South Park | Teen Ink

South Park MAG

By Charlotte Garrett BRONZE, Heath, Texas
Charlotte Garrett BRONZE, Heath, Texas

“Oh, my God! They killed Kenny!” This simple phrase elicits a grin from almost every teen in America – and disapproving looks from many adults. Some may argue that “South Park” is a vulgar, crude show that should be banned, while others say it is simply another form of satire, no different from The Onion. Though considered one of the most controversial shows on TV, “South Park” is not as ill-suited for America's youth as some may believe.

The show revolves around a group of foul-mouthed fourth-graders in a small town in Colorado. They do not simply present mindless violence and offensive language; they help viewers see irony in the world. This foursome, with their childish innocence, shines a light on how corrupt the world can be.

In Kurt Vonnegut's novel Cat's Cradle, the author constantly pokes fun at religion, just like the writers of “South Park.” Much like the popular show “The Office,” “South Park” finds flaws in the human character and exploits them for a laugh. While “The Office” turns these flaws into awkward moment after awkward moment, “South Park” shows them in a light that spurs thought and change.

“South Park” allows youth to get in touch with a more serious side of the world in a humorous, satirical way. While some disapproving parents use parental control to ban “South Park” from their TVs, they overlook the greater message it brings. Teens aren't too likely to tune in to CNN to watch the latest current economic crisis, but they will watch a show that brings them up-to-date on important world news while making them laugh 'til their stomachs ache.

Tmoney110 said...
I love this show i get so many good laughs out of it this show is so funny. Cartman is my all time favorite character  how he makes fun of eceryone and loves kfc is just so funny South PArk Rules !!!!!! 

tsl2013 BRONZE said...
tsl2013 BRONZE, Breakfast, Iowa
however awesome review! really great

tsl2013 BRONZE said...
tsl2013 BRONZE, Breakfast, Iowa
ive tried to watch it but i every time i did it was the worst episode possible 4 me. i watched the one about gingers not having a soul when my best friend was a ginger, sitting right next to me on the couch. its funni when you or what u like isnt being insulted, several times ive been insulted by the jokes and i frankly dont find them funny. i think parents ban the show because of the constant cursing and violence, for any parent (especially my mom) once they hear the bleeping- the show is automatically banned 

hihihihihhihi, Mililani, Hawaii
i really do hate how some adults think it is a terrible show. thanks for shining light on this issue. i loved it!

emokitzu BRONZE, Slickville, Pennsylvania

"Well, my father's family name being Pirrup, and my Christian name being Phillup, my infant tongue could-" "Shut up, Pip!" "Right-o." -South Park, Pip Pirrup and Eric Cartman

i'd also like to say that by not allowing their children to watch it will make them attempt to watch it every chance they get because my dad didn't allow me until i was 13 going on 14 and by then i had been watching it for about a year :3 it's an awesome show that deserves to be appreciated!

Gigiliciousdefinicious BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it!

this is so true! Adults refuse to see that- in its own way, South Park shows how flawed the world is and teaches us important lessons about the world if we see the irony.

I love South Park so reading this really was cool. And like that whole thing about it being satire .... like .... who knew!!!