The Vampire Diaries | Teen Ink

The Vampire Diaries

September 21, 2013
By BeautifulNightmareX GOLD, Ridgeway, Other
BeautifulNightmareX GOLD, Ridgeway, Other
11 articles 1 photo 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is a maze.
Love is a riddle.


The Vampire Diaries is a show that is more targeted for teens and young adults because of some content of course language and sexually suggestive content, but it captures the viewers interest with the various plot twists and surprises the lurk around corners. The Vampire Diaries takes place in a fictional town called Mystic Falls and centers around three main characters; Elena Gilbert (Nina Doberv) who starts out as an average teenage girl that lost her parents in a tragic accident, but soon after meeting the Salvatore brothers is swallowed up in the supernatural world. Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley) starts out as “Vegetarian” vampire who is returning to his hometown, Mystic Falls, and is instantly intrigued by Elena because of her strong resemblance to his ex-lover Katherine Peirce, the Petrova Doppelganger. Damon Salvatore (Ian Somerhalder) starts off as the rebellious, cocky older Salvatore brother who is set on making Stefan’s life miserable due to a promise made back in 1864.

The storyline has many twists and turns, with unexpected deaths and appearances by Katherine, Elijah (Daniel Gillies) and Niklaus Mikaelson (Joseph Morgan), and other characters. As the show progresses, the character’s personalities alter slightly and pieces of the events that happened in the past are revealed, reflecting on the actions that some of the characters make.

The Vampire Diaries is sort of like a mixture of all the genres and doesn’t really focus on one particular theme. For example there is some romance, with Stefan and Elena or Caroline Forbes (Candice Accola) and Tyler Lockwood (Michael Trevino). There is some action, with Damon fighting Logan Fell (Chris J. Johnson) or Jeremy Gilbert (Steven R. McQueen) going all ‘Vampire Hunter’. There is also some rivalry, with Damon and Stefan, or Klaus and Tyler. So my point being, The Vampire Diaries can be enjoyable for almost every type of person, even with the cheesy lines that some of the characters say.


The author's comments:
The Vampire Diaries has been my favourite show from day one. I literally waited weeks for it to be premiered on television and started watching it from then on. I remember watching for the first episode to come on in 2009 and being like, "I love this show!".