Destiny 2: Forsaken | Teen Ink

Destiny 2: Forsaken

November 6, 2018
By Yoshipark1 BRONZE, Conneautville, Pennsylvania
Yoshipark1 BRONZE, Conneautville, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
If you say something is impossible, prove it! Go to the farthest lengths to prove that it is impossible.


“Any last words?” “How is your sister?” These two sentences begin the newest edition to Destiny 2: Forsaken. The main plot of Forsaken is this: Your guardian and Cayde-6, the Hunter Vanguard, travel to the Reef, a place far out in the Asteroid Belt, to assist Petra Venj with a prison riot in the Prison of Elders. While making your way through the prison, you met the Scorn, a type of corrupted Fallen, and more importantly, the Scorned Barons. Petra soon figures that this is not a riot, it is in fact a prison break. Cayde takes action and heads down to take on the Barons by himself, and while fighting them, his precious Ghost which allows him to be revived by the light gets destroyed, leaving Cayde with one life and no way of coming back once it’s lost. The Barons then attack Cayde with everything they’ve got, and Cayde is launched into a wall, breaking though it like it’s nothing. There, Cayde meets an old friend: Uldren Sov, but instead of Uldren helping Cayde, Uldren takes Cayde’s gun, The Ace of Spades, and kills him. Uldren then escapes with the Barons, and the hunt to avenge Cayde-6 begins.

Forsaken is the third expansion to Destiny 2, with the first two being Curse of Osiris and Warmind. However, I feel that the game has changed so much that it deserves another review. The campaign for Forsaken is very well done, but in Destiny 2, the campaign just scratches the surface. What makes this expansion different from the others is the endgame content. Included in a free update was an entirely new weapon system, which allowed more flexibility in your choice of arms. This update was free for everyone, including those who didn’t buy Forsaken. The expansion also added two new places to explore: The Tangled Shore, and The Dreaming City. The Tangled Shore is where most of the campaign takes place, and it’s a nice place and all, but it’s nothing compared to the Dreaming City.

The Dreaming City is a place that you can only get to after completing the campaign, however, this place is different from other places because of one thing: it changes over time. As of now, the new raid, Last Wish, has been released, and teams have already started completing it. When the first team completed it however, the Dreaming City started to become corrupted with taken energy, and a three-week cycle of corruption had started. When the taken corruption is at its worst, a Dungeon called the Shattered Throne becomes available to play. The Dreaming City also has one other key event: The Blind Well. This event is like the Court of Oryx from Destiny 2’s predecessor, Destiny, and the event introduced in Warmind, Escalation Protocol, to form an event that is one of a kind. Here, you can choose a difficulty, and fight waves of enemies to get powerful loot. That’s about it for the Dreaming city, but this is just one place.

Going back to the Last Wish raid, I have had the opportunity to play through this raid and it is well, almost perfect. The game’s creators, Bungie, has listened to the players’ demands and put all of them into this raid. If you don’t know, a raid is a six-man co-op PvE (player vs. enemy) activity, where your team must complete different encounters in order to complete the raid. Last WIsh is the second actual raid in Destiny 2, with the first being Leviathan, and it is a very well put together part of the PvE experience.

One thing that everybody was excited of was the release of the new mode: Gambit. Gambit is a 4 vs. 4 PvEvP (Player vs. Enemy vs. Player) mode where two teams are sent into two seperate arenas to kill enemies, once killed, the enemies drop motes ,which are the main collectables you need in order to win. Once collected, you can bank them in your teams, well, bank! Here’s where the PvP aspect comes in: every twenty-five motes your team banks, you or one of your teammates can invade the other team’s arena to stop them from depositing motes, and send them back to spawn. This is true for the other team as well, so watch your back! Once seventy-five motes are deposited, your team summons a primeval, which you must kill in order to win the match. The catch is that the other team’s invasion portal will constantly activate, allowing them to invade frequently to hinder your progress. Every kill the enemy team’s invader gets while the primeval is alive will heal your primeval, so watch out! First to kill their primeval wins the round, and are sent to round two. First to win two rounds wins!

While I’ve covered the PvE experience, there is one more half of Destiny 2: PvP (Player vs. Player). This comes in the form of the Crucible. You have two playlists to choose from: a more casual and relaxed format called Quickpay, or the team-based and fast-paced experience of Competitive. Also there is a weekly rotating mode that can be Mayhem, Supremacy, or the new mode Breakthrough. And again, Bungie has listened to the community and added private matches, where it’s you and your friends playing a custom game with custom rules, which has been demanded since the release of Destiny 2. The Crucible has a perfect place for everyone, even if you hate PvP.

Overall, I believe that Forsaken is worth the Forty Dollars that it costs, because even if you don’t buy it, you still get all of the free content, including Gambit, the new weapon system, and many more amazing things. Bungie has done a remarkably well job on this expansion, and I believe that if you’re looking for a new thing to play, give Forsaken a try. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.


The author's comments:

well I actually left this game, but thanks to this expansion, I now love this game again and I felt like it deserved another review. also the reason the picture is a chicken is that Cayde-6 had a chicken named Colonel.