Time to Switch to the Nintendo Switch | Teen Ink

Time to Switch to the Nintendo Switch

May 21, 2019
By Anonymous


Video games are a huge staple in the entertainment world. They are popular with kids and teens and are a great way to pass the time. One of the biggest debates among video game lovers is which console is the best. In my opinion the best console is the Nintendo Switch because it is cheap, portable, and the game design is great.  

Most game consoles have a gimmick currently with the PlayStation 4 having a touch screen and 4k graphics. The Xbox 1 the first console to have a one terabyte processor. However, the Switch’s gimmick is one of best ones out there. The Switch can become portable in a matter of seconds. This is what really makes it stand apart from the other consoles. It turns the Switch into something more personal and something that could travel around the world with you. This sets it apart because it people can play video games anywhere.

Not only is the Switch portable, but it is also cheap. Money is a big thing when it comes to video games. The console, games, and extra controllers ( if you play with friends) cost a pretty penny. The Nintendo Switch is one of the cheapest home consoles on the market at the moment. With it only being $300 it is much cheaper than the PlayStation 4 and Xbox1. Both of those consoles are priced at  $400 and $500 respectively. Furthermore games for Switch cost about about 60 dollars and don’t require an update to play. However the PlayStation 4 and Xbox1 games are generally around 70 dollars and you have to download an update to play. For updates on the other two console they are very big, like on computer would have trouble downloading it. The Switch doesn’t require Wifi to download games. The price comparison speaks for itself when it comes to the Switch, in 2018 the Switch sold 2.5 million consoles on Black Friday. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox 1 sold around 1 million each on Black Friday. The Switch also won best selling console in 2018.

Although the Switch is not as powerful with hardware as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 1 it makes up for it in game design. Nintendo has been a household name for over thirty years, and everyone has heard of it. The Switch, however, is powerful enough. "Super Mario Odyssey" and "Breath of the Wild" and pretty much every other game on the Switch looks more than good enough. Does "Assassin's Creed Odyssey" look better than "Breath of the Wild" on a purely technical level? It sure does. "Breath of the Wild" is still a far better game. "Odyssey" is fine, to be clear, but Nintendo's focus on game design over everything else is really showing. And the future looks ever brighter. Nintendo has also made more “party games” such as Super Mario Party, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon 2. The Switch offers a big family aspect that the other consoles don’t have.

Nintendo has been a household name for over thirty years, and everyone has heard of them. The Switch has made a huge impact on the gaming industry because of its modest price, movable design, and its graphic composition. The switch may be young, but it sure is making a difference.


The author's comments:

This is a great piece