Battlefield 1 Review | Teen Ink

Battlefield 1 Review

December 4, 2022
By 4heberlein SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
4heberlein SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Battlefield 1 is a first-person shooter game developed by DICE and published by EA(Electronic Arts). It was released for Xbox, PlayStation, and PC in 2016. It has a realistic World War 1-based campaign and the ability to play multiplayer with your friends against anyone. 

Its campaign includes an immersive world war I experience that doesn’t sugarcoat the conditions of being a soldier in “The Great War.”The player experiences the game through six different characters with different backgrounds and war stories. One of the story's characters, Clyde Blackburn, an American pilot, is a shady character who steals a British plane and poses as George Rackham, a British ace pilot. This along with other stories realistically show the brutality of the war through the lens of six very different people. The game's unique storytelling focuses on the human stories of the war rather than its political complexities.

 Some of the downsides I saw playing these stories were that they were often repetitive, and could feel like some of the missions were dragging on just to add content to the game. They likely tried to add some of the missions just to length the story's playtime. Besides these slow points, this is one of the best campaigns I’ve ever played. It’s a great story for any gamer, and especially for those who like historical accuracy. 

Battlefield also features multiplayer with World War 1 realist maps and weapons. It contains 7 different game modes that allow players to change it up and play many different types of experiences. Battlefield 1 also does a good job of allowing players to easily play with their friends. It uses Xbox and Playstation profiles to allow players to invite friends to party up and play multiplayer together. 

I liked the multiplayer for the most part but was disappointed in the blandness of the modes. The maps were not the game's strong point as I was underwhelmed by the lack of diversity and blandness of a lot of the maps. The removal of levolutions, which is being able to alter the environment of the map, removes some of the tactics that could be used in previous Battlefield games.