Sally Face: The Game That Feels Like a Bizarre Fever Dream | Teen Ink

Sally Face: The Game That Feels Like a Bizarre Fever Dream

March 18, 2024
By marlenel BRONZE, North Hollywood, California
marlenel BRONZE, North Hollywood, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

     Murders, demons, cannibalism, and an evil cult.  The point and click, indie adventure game “Sally Face” follows Sal Fisher who after being involved in an accident resulting in his face getting disfigured, wears a prosthetic mask, hence the nickname “Sally Face''. With the help of his friends Larry, Ashley, and Todd, together they investigate a series of murders and the paranormal activity in the Addison Apartments where they reside. Creator Steve Gabry has stated his inspiration from his personal nightmares and 90’s cartoons which is apparent throughout the game from the grotesque art style, to the eerie music and sounds, and of course the equally disturbing story.

      The game has 5 episodes that were first released on PC in 2016 to 2019. Later in 2021, it was released on Nintendo Switch and in 2022, on Playstation 4 and Xbox One. Throughout the 5 episodes of the game, the player will encounter cut scenes portraying unsightly images that are enough to keep you up at night.

     In chapter 3 called “The Bologna Incident”, Sal and his group of friends take notice of the funny tasting cafeteria bologna meat that had gotten some of the students sick. Together, they decide to investigate what exactly the bologna is made out of. Eventually, they learn that their teacher Mrs. Packerton, who also resides in Addison Apartments, supplies the bologna. There, they stumble onto a room filled with saws, what seems to be some sort of meat processor machine, and a freezer. After solving a lock on the freezer, it opens and reveals meat. Human meat. The freezer is filled to the brim with saggy, bloodied, boneless limbs, guts, and a jar filled with eyeballs. To go along with it, the bird-like, grating screech sound effect that plays, feels like a queasy punch to the stomach. As Larry rightfully vomits, the realization that all the students at Nockfell High had been eating human bologna, sets in. That’s just the tip of the iceberg as later on, the group of friends discover that Mrs. Packerton is part of the supernatural cult whose mission is to bring a demon into physical existence causing the destruction of Earth. This is just one small instance of the large amount of horrific scenes in this game. 


     Playing through this was such a surreal experience that left me wanting more. It’s weird and exciting and the atmosphere it creates using different mediums of art is truly imaginative.