Subnautica: The Pinnacle of Survival Video Games | Teen Ink

Subnautica: The Pinnacle of Survival Video Games

March 18, 2024
By Anonymous

About 20% of people who play Subnautica have completed it. What happened to the remaining 80%? Published by Unknown Worlds Entertainment in 2018, the game Subnautica was released to the public. It is a survival game that stuck out like a sore thumb compared to its competition. The main objective when you begin is to explore the uncharted and wet alien planet your emergency pod crashes on. Once your character wakes up after being unconscious, you realize the planet is made up of mostly water. Some people might’ve played the beginning and wondered “This isn’t for me.” If more took the time to explore the deep dark oceans and underwater nature, the average person would appreciate it more. Subnautica isn't for everybody, but for those who like exploring and a bit of horror, you should consider spending $20-$30 to play this game on your Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo Switch, or PC. 


          On the surface, all there is to see is the gleaming sun,  the dark moon, and firey crashed ship. Underwater, it is a whole new world. The fish look odd and the plants look very familiar. After you progress a little further into the story you realize how difficult it can be to survive. The depths of the oceans have creatures that make exploring a difficult task. The white and red leviathan for example is one of the strongest creatures you can find in high depth water. The blaring and transparent ghost leviathan is a variant that can be found in the lower depths of the ocean, specifically the Lost River. The deeper you are underwater the more inefficient your oxygen level will be. The vehicles you construct aren’t indestructible. The more damage the vehicle takes, the more likely you are to have to build another one. The songs that play while diving and noises you hear in the ocean gives an ambience that sets the mood. There are so many parts of the game to worry about at once which makes you feel like a kid in the dark again.


       There is so much to explore in Subnautica, the game has distinct biomes and depths. The further out from the spaceship you go, the more higher tier resources and items there are. When using your equipment like the Scanner, the player can learn more about the wildlife in the ocean. Detailed descriptions are given to every plant and animal that is scannable. When exploring, you find data entries logging the lives of people before you. These features give you the feeling of being immersed and making it seem like the planet is your home for the time being. 


The author's comments:

I like Subnautica.