Red Dead Redemption II, The Game That Redeemed The Image of Story Games | Teen Ink

Red Dead Redemption II, The Game That Redeemed The Image of Story Games

March 18, 2024
By cmejia0077 BRONZE, North Hollywood, California
cmejia0077 BRONZE, North Hollywood, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I got to experience THE BEST STORY OF ALL TIME but I didn't experience it at a movie theater. It wasn't a movie, a book or a play. It was a video game
Red Dead Redemption 2 is a video game set during the end of the Wild West created by Rockstar Games, the same people who made GTA V. Now sure, GTA V had its fair share of a bad reputation due to its controversial glorification of gore and violence but Red Dead Redemption is more story driven and more focused on their characters. We follow the story of our Protagonist, Arthur Morgan who has been a part of a gang called the Van Der Linde Gang, named after their leader Dutch Van Der Linde, for practically his whole life and this gang has raised Arthur ever since he was fourteen years old, making this gang his only family that he has.
Throughout his whole life Arthur has been nothing but a bad man who's robbed banks, steal from the poor and kill the innocents, but Arthur getting diagnosed with Tuberculosis he only has a few days left to fix all the wrongdoings of his past and make amends for everyone he's wrong and even himself, to become a better person. An amazing detail when Arthur's sick is that his physical appearance changes too. His eyes sunken in, his skin gets paler, he's lost tons of weight. During Arthur's redemption arc it can get really emotional because Arthur runs into the same people you've wronged earlier in the game and is now trying to help them and it's sad. Knowing that Arthur ruined these peoples' lives for the worst, when Arthur finally helps them he doesn't want forgiveness because he already suffers everyday of his life knowing he ruined their life. I enjoyed the game. I literally have 374 hours played, and have multiple playthroughs, it's the game that I always come back to. I truly believe it's the best game ever made. It was so close to winning the 2018 Game Awards, but it was awarded The Game Award for Best Performance and The Game Award for Best Narrative. Just because it didn't win Game of the Year doesn't take away anything from it, don't just take my word for it, this game sold MILLIONS, it even became the most sold entertainment product of 2018 “After its October release, Red Dead Redemption 2 earned $725 million in just three days, giving it the highest-grossing opening weekend of any entertainment product — ever.” To put those numbers in context, this year’s biggest Marvel film, “Avengers: Infinity War,” grossed about $640 million worldwide in its opening weekend.”


The author's comments:

The reason why I chose to review Red Dead Redemption II is that I truly believe that everyone should experience this game at least once because I truly believe this game is a masterpiece, like you truly can connect with the side characters in the game where you can genuinely laugh with them and especially cry with them and for them in this game. Also like I always talk about the game whenever I get the chance and I would always recommend the game to people who are looking for something to really get into.