Better Barbie | Teen Ink

Better Barbie MAG

I don’t have any alumni ties to Brown, though it’s possible I could be the long-lost granddaughter of James S. Miller. Never have I sailed the Pacific Ocean on the back of a humpback whale, nor can I wrap sushi with the skill of former Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto. I haven’t done much research regarding podiatry, and chances are I will never win the Michigan Mega-Millions lottery. I am, however, the proud owner of a Little Mermaid Edition Barbie.

At some point in almost every little girl’s life, she becomes engrossed in the Pepto-Bismol-pink world of Barbies, a place I entered at the age of seven. My sister, Hannah, and I decided to take our collection of 11-inch plastic friends for a dip in the pool one sweltering summer day. Hours of giggling resulted from tossing the Barbies as high as we could into the air and watching them dive gracefully into the waves. Three … two … one, I launched my Little Mermaid doll in the same fashion as Apollo 11. We watched her rocket into the sky. I glanced at my sister, who was scrambling through her scorecards to make sure she had the well-deserved “10” ready. My eyes returned upward, anticipating the gymnastic stunts Barbie would undoubtedly deliver to her enraptured audience. Where was she? The crowd was growing restless. Had she landed on the moon?

Utterly bewildered, we combed through the freshly mown grass and woods, but unfortunately, our search bore no fruit. After a moment of sorrow, our tiny attention spans directed us to a different game, and our minds fluttered away.

Over the years, I encountered many of my own quirky adventures. As a field biologist intern, I camped for 15 days on an uninhabited island, purified my own water, surveyed the endangered Piping Plover, tested the water quality of lakes, and found my way out of 70,000 acres of northern Michigan wilderness. My view of the world broadened through travels and encounters with the Costa Rican, German, French, and Australian cultures. I won varsity letters, had my poetry published, and volunteered at a local hospital, and as I grew older, the mystery of the once-beloved Little Mermaid Edition Barbie faded into a misty memory.

One recent fall day, rainbow-colored leaves swirled through the air and the chilly breeze carried its pleasant scent, an amalgamation of bonfire and pumpkin. Upon the rooftop was not good Saint Nick, but rather my dad, cleaning the leaves off our house. Tied to the branch of an ancient oak tree, the tire swing moved my body in a pendulum motion. My dad approached with something dark in his hands. “Eh … does this belong to you, or Hannah?” he said with a look of perplexity painted on his face. I couldn’t believe my eyes: It was the Little Mermaid Edition Barbie! The poor girl – she was an absolute disaster. I affirmed my ownership of the traveler, and took her battered body in my hands.

Nine years had passed since I had seen the almost-world-renowned Olympic diver. I recalled that summer day and smiled as memories flooded my mind. She looked as though she’d been struck by lightning a few times, weathered heavy monsoons, and held onto the gutter for dear life during tornados. Her mangled arm appeared to have been mistaken for a worm by a ferocious momma bird. Leaves, dirt, and other debris were entwined in her once shiny, cherry locks. Her attire was tattered – she seemed to have fashioned herself a Tarzan-esque ensemble. Her ingenuity was impressive; it reminded me of an experience in which I had to craft socks out of a garbage bag and medical tape, then wear them for three days in pouring rain. Nevertheless, one thing stood out as I ogled my long-lost friend: her face.

She wore a radiant smile, a look of contentment, self-confidence, and accomplishment. With head held high and a positive attitude, she had battled life’s unexpected challenges. She knows now what it means to strive and succeed. I realized the world of pink doesn’t fit someone with so much potential, so much passion for learning, so much heart, independence, and creativity. I looked at her and saw myself reflected in her sapphire eyes.

Like her, my dreams lie far beyond those of a Stepford wife, and with the ability to bend and not break, I am ready to step out of my plastic box society, through the Van Winkle gates, and into a world of endless possibilities. I crave the works of Thoreau and Emerson, not mall directories or grocery lists. I desire adventure and the opportunity to study new cultures. I long to write what I want and voice my opinions with my whole heart behind them. And as the Little Mermaid Edition Barbie sits on my shelf, next to musical and athletic trophies, behind silly pictures of friends, and alongside books by Maya Angelou and Lewis Carroll, she reminds me of myself. For this ambitious girl, pink is not enough; she is ready to dive into Brown.

ChelseaMe SILVER, Conway, Arkansas

Beauty is an abstract noun

I really like what you are saying here! It's a very interesting essay, different from the norm.

Asma said...
I thought this was an excelent essay, well don!

pulledheartstring, San Jose, California

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. -- Mahatma Gandhi

I thought this essay was mediocre, it wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but it was well written yet a little too cheesy at some points. 

Deej6595 BRONZE, Billerica, Massachusetts

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

Getting ready for the future. This is a good theme. It may even inspire me to write my own Barbie story!

Well, it really shouldn't matter how amazing the essay is, all the person did was correct them. this site isn't about getting praise, it's about critique and I don't think the other person said anything that was insulting or rude. 

pensive said...
pensive, Fcgbhjk, Maryland
Can I be honest here? I was bored. It's like you're trying to point out all your accomplishments over and over again. The thing about the Barbie felt kind of forced, too, as if the doll didn't really have much importance to you, and the whole essay was just a set up to talk about how much "potential" you have. It would feel a lot more genuine if you actually talked about yourself as a person. 

maizyiscrazy GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe in miracles. ~Audrey Hepburn

So while there has been a lot of condradicting ideas about the "plagarism" of this essay, it is definitely not copied word for word. In the book "100 Successful College Application Essays," Jamie Metzl's essay to Brown has to do with a seven inch Godzilla, and the first paragraph is remarkably similiar. To be fair to the author though, this essay does have some very unique touches that do make the essay its own.

A_Journey GOLD said...
A_Journey GOLD, Tampa, Florida

The Muse of Poetry should not know that roses in manure grow. ~The Formula, Langston Hughes
You may write me down in history with your bitter, twisted ties. You may trod me in the very dirt, but still, like dirt, I rise. ~Still I Rise, Maya Angelou

doom, writecheck checks to see if any of the words/phrases were copied, not ideas. in this case, the idea was copied, but not in the exact wording. 

potterfan said...
on Jun. 7 2012 at 8:48 am
You are a master of syntax and imagery. I found myself laughing and marveling in the clever allusions and intricate descriptions of everything. Please continue writing, your style is so unique. Go Brown! 

peach<3 GOLD said...
peach<3 GOLD, Portland, Oregon

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

- Unknown author.

I believe that a woman can still be feminine and "pink", and at the same time be smart and strive to achieve great things. This message implies that a woman can either be smart *or* pretty, but I believe that she can be both. The essay, however, is well written, although I don't agree entirely with the topic.

RachelCookie said...

Wow... this essay stood out to me so much because at first it seemed so irrelevent; the title drew me with its unusual title. But once it connected the Barbie's part in your life back to your current lifestyle, and how it has influenced your decisions... I was amazed. So simple, yet so powerful.

Every aspect of this essay is striking, no matter what way you look at it - except for one. I hate to say it, but I've read the book '100 Successful College Application Essays' myself, and this essay seems pretty close to one I saw in there. Plagarism is wrong, and if you get caught the consequences could be to your extreme disappointment. I suggest trying to implement more of your own experiences, and don't twist the truth to get the results you want; be unique. Let the words come naturally, and make the most of it! I hope this can be considered a lesson learned for the future.

overexposed PLATINUM, Davie, Florida

When you compare the sorrows of real life to the pleasures of the imaginary one, you will never want to live again, only to dream forever.

This essay is magnificent! From the more serious, informative moments to the little quips of humor sporadically sprinkled throughout, I was left feeling extremely impressed. You have a masterful method of crafting your words. Amazing job! 

nolanje80 PLATINUM, Kalispell, Montana

“When you're dreaming with a broken heart
The waking up is the hardest part
You roll outta bed and down on your knees
And for a moment you can hardly breathe”
― John Mayer

that was great. i hope you get in to brown and hope these people who continue to insult you quit. they really shoudl get a life. continue writing, you are great at it! keep on, sister!

nolanje80 PLATINUM, Kalispell, Montana

The waking up is the hardest part
― John Mayer

there is such a thing as writecheck (it checks plagerism) so if she plagerized, it wouldnt have been allowed to be posted. get a clue you guys!

nolanje80 PLATINUM, Kalispell, Montana

The waking up is the hardest part
― John Mayer

meghan, if you think that analogies are too abstract, then obviously you shouldnt be reading this because your reading level or whatever is dnagerously low for the rest of us to be dealing with.

nolanje80 PLATINUM, Kalispell, Montana

The waking up is the hardest part
― John Mayer

you just read that amazing essay and all you do is correct her? that's so wrong.

anavit15 SILVER, Naperville, Illinois
oh my gosh... that was incredible! if you do't get into Brown, they have problems

jakedawggg said...
Masaharu Morimoto is not a former Iron Chef he is still one and is still on the show. Even the new ones. Recently he did a battle. Sorry but you are missinformed.

Crazy Vanny said...
The most impressive part for me is the ending. I love this essay! It really makes me think!

Caravana GOLD said...
Caravana GOLD, Joplin, Missouri

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through him who gives me strength."

great job! I love how you used your own personal experience to provide a deeper meaning. This essay really made me think and I could really relate with the childhood memories :)