My Dream | Teen Ink

My Dream MAG

As I sit here and attempt to piece together an answer for the question on this college application, I can’t seem to think of any openings that aren’t utterly cliché. Maybe even this opening is cliché, but it is giving me a better feeling than my previous attempts, so I think I will keep it.

I won’t lie, my mind is not here on this essay. My mind is on my father, who is dying of brain cancer. I don’t say this to ask for pity but to give insight into what has been happening in my life during the past eight months after my dad was told he had approximately two years to live. Less than a week ago, he was told he had two weeks left.

When my dad learned he was dying, he asked me to write a memoir about his athletic achievements. For the past 25 years, my dad has run. He’s run marathons, triathlons, and even attempted a 50-miler a few years ago, although he

only managed 35 miles (which is still quite an accomplishment).

The reason my dad asked me, and not one of my sisters or my brother, is because I love to write. I’ve always wanted to major in creative writing, and now I have an incentive. What first attracted me to your college was its amazing English program. Reading about it for the first time, I dubbed it “drool-worthy.”

Writing is pretty much my form of oxygen. It’s what I do, it’s what I’ve always done. No matter what’s going on, I write. At least, that’s the way it always was until my dad got sick. Since then, my writing has slowed. I’m scared to write about my reality, as if doing so would make it more real.

I saw your college with my dad last April, and it struck me as a place where I could happily spend four years. After visiting, I fell even more in love with the English program and realized this could be where I make my dreams a reality.

My dream is to write. Before I wanted to write for me because it is what I love to do, but now I also want to write for my dad. It means a lot to me because he didn’t always support my ambition to major in creative writing, but he has finally realized that is what I want to do and now he supports me.

I want to write my dad’s memoir, and I want him to know, wherever he may be, that I have achieved my dream. I believe your college is where I can turn my dream into reality.

on Jun. 3 2017 at 8:37 am
njorogeikonye, Knoxville, Tennessee
Need a college essay? Visit us if you want us to buy college essay

Desmothenes Locke GOLD, Cresskill, New Jersey
I liked your essay but it was slightly ironic

izzy_0314 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Real bands save fans, real fans save bands. -Michael Clifford

This article totally deserves the 5 star rating I gave it. I think that your essay is really well thought out and I enjoyed reading it. Keep following your dream of writing!

rfcorcoran23 BRONZE, Richland, New York

"We cannot choose where we come from but we can choose where we go from there."

What a beautiful Essay. My father has passed away and this essay hit home for me. Keep up the writing and good luck with the writing program! I hope you have achieved your goal! :)

rachael29 said...
rachael29, Somerset, Kentucky
What a sweet thing to do for your dad, hope you enjoy college

Hilton BRONZE said...
Hilton BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
Lao Tzu

“Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
Anonymous

“Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and som “An obstacle is often a stepping stone.”

This is such a wonderful writing. I was moved by your writing. Keep the faith and spirit alive for your father. Where ever he is he is looking at you smiling. :)

aLlian SILVER said...
aLlian SILVER, Bucheon, Other

I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.-Edgar Allan Poe

I love it... It brings tears to my eyes... I'll be praying for you and your dad.

mimi said...
Love it! (:

Here's a tip to make your dad live longer: Ask him to be happy, and spend most of your time with him, so that he will reach the Eternal Heaven's gates happily and watch over you and care for you like he has always done.

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

Nice thoughts. At least, you have someone to keep in your mind as you make your dreams come true. 

jkilmer SILVER said...
jkilmer SILVER, Washington, District Of Columbia

When I am dead, I hope it may be said:
"His sins were scarlet, but his books were read."
"Declarations of love amuse me, especially when unrequited."
'Pity is a useless emotion.'
'Read. Breathe. Relax.'

Your essay was really nice. I'm so sorry about your dad but no doubt he's proud of you. 

Bambi67 SILVER said...
Bambi67 SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

remember that the future comes one day at a time.
Dean Acheson

wow i really love this, thank you for writing, keep up on doing it!!!check out my work=)

AllForOne SILVER, Audubon, Pennsylvania

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein

Best one I have read on this site - no doubt.

I absolutely loved this piece also and am quite curious what colleges you got into. 

Ashton BRONZE said...
Ashton BRONZE, Somewhere, Oklahoma

Giving up doesn't always mean you're weak, it means your strong enough to let go.~Author Unknown

I want you to know that you and your Father are in my prayers.  I'm glad your close to your dad.  Mine lied to me recently and really hurt me.  It makes me feel better to see people with relationships like you and your Dad's.

teezed said...
hey, this one's a touching piece. can you tell me to which school you were intending to apply to? thanks. god bless you. x