The Downside of Electrokinesis | Teen Ink

The Downside of Electrokinesis

December 11, 2019
By samanthathacker BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
samanthathacker BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Most Dangerous Writing Prompt
As I took in the view from the twentieth floor, the lights went out all over the city. The wind blew, harder and harder. I felt the power surge through me, but it wasn't me that blew the wind. I turned to my sister, Amy, who looked pale and frightened. 

"Amy, dear, what's wrong?" I asked. 

"Im sorry, Mikey, I turned off all the lights and made it super windy, please don't be scared. I won't hurt you." 

I laughed. "Amy, dear, you didn't kill the lights, that was me. I guess we are both gifted. I won't be scared of your wind if your not scared of my electric manipulation," I explained the best I could of my powers to my sister. 

"Why did you turn off the lights, Mikey?" Amy asked, confused of the boy's action. 

"They’re coming. I didn't want him to see us. I wanted them to flee from the darkness, Amy dear. I swore I would protect you, and I will protect you from him." I exclaimed. 

"Who are They?" My wide-eyed and scared sister questioned me. 

"They are not anyone you want to know, and someone I wish I didn't. I promise you that all of your questions will be answered when They are-” I was cut off by a scream. I thought for a second, trying to figure out who’s scream it was, but as I felt myself being thrown over someone's shoulder I remembered. The scream was mine. I was too busy passing out to worry about my little sister and if she was hurt. 

I woke up later, unaware of how long I was out, but I could tell I was in a typical warehouse type of building. I looked to my right to see an angry man with a gun aimed at me in front of my face. I turned my head to my left to see two more angry men. It was Them. 

Under normal circumstances I  would speak my mind, but, with a gun against my head I decided it was best to shut my trap. 

"Who do you work for?"  The taller of the angry men to my left asked. I was confused, and pondered if I should answer, and  after some thought and conideration, I decided to keep my mouth shut. 

"We're gonna ask you this one final time, who do you work for?" The shorter angry man asked. I didn't want a gun to his head, but I knew that if they really wanted information, they wouldn't kill me that quickly. I decided to see just what they would do to me if I didn't talk, so I shook my head and pouted in a mocking manner. 

"Oh my goodness," the tall one muttered. 

"He won't talk, what should we do, Dean?" the short one asked the taller one. 

"Shoot him, Rocco. It's what we said we would do," Dean said to the one with the gun. 

"But I don't want him dead yet. I have other ways of torture." The short one murmured. "We could find his weaknesses, use them against him." 

Dean looked at the short one like he was an idiot. "Axel, you idiot! How are we supposed to do that if he won't talk?" Dean yelled. 

"And he can hear us.” Rocco finally spoke up. I’ve only known these three thugs for, at most, ten minutes, and I already could tell that Dean was the leader and Rocco was the silent-but-deadly type. 

I knew that I had to get out somehow, so I used my electricity manipulation to shut the lights off, making  the Angry Trio temporarily blind so I could get myself out of the ropes. 

That didn’t work, and went a lot differently than it does in movies. 

While the Angry Trio bickered about how to kill me (Rocco recommended shooting air between my toes, Axel preferred they drive me into insanity, Dean just wanted to blow my brains out), I shut off the lights. 

While being temporarily blind, Rocco screamed and fired shots everywhere. I tried ducking, but I was also temporarily blind, so I couldn’t see the bullets I was attempting to dodge. I also couldn’t get out of the ropes, which meant that my trick was useless in this situation. I flickered the lights back on, and saw the rope around myself was now mostly red. 

So that’s what that pain was. 

I looked around me and saw a terrified Rocco surrounded by two unconscious bodies and blood. 

I can’t die yet! I don’t know if Amy is okay. I didn’t protect her. I only pray that Amy is okay. 


The author's comments:

I used a writing prompt generator to spark the idea for this dark short story.