Kindling to the Fire | Teen Ink

Kindling to the Fire

By bat09252003 BRONZE, Gilford, New Hampshire
bat09252003 BRONZE, Gilford, New Hampshire

How many times have you looked out your window and thought, “wow, my life is boring.” Well for most people, they could probably say every so often, more if nothing is going on, but for me, I have never said that and probably never will. Hi, my name is ------, well I guess I can’t tell you my name. That would defeat the purpose of my job. What is your job you may be asking? Well, I’m a spy. You heard me right, I am a spy for the rebellion, also known as Lorem Homines, which apparently stands for independent people in the old language. 

You probably want some background info on said rebellion well, I’ll tell you what I know. 20 years before I was born there was an uprising, or outbreak if you believe the government which no one does and you shouldn’t either. The uprising was opposed to the cruel amount of taxes that the government put into place and the lack of care for the nation’s people. Thousands joined the uprising, but it still wasn’t enough to fight the national army. Pitchforks and rifles were no match for automatic weapons and bombs. Everyone lost something and in the outer towns, it is still remembered today from the ruined houses and craters that litter the towns. Personally, my mom lost her father in the uprising and my father lost his brother. After the uprising, the government was less lenient about the outer towns, where the uprising started. Now there are cameras everywhere and soldiers patrolling the streets. It may be a horrific scene to outsiders, but nowadays it's normal. 

Now back to the rebellion, Lorem Homines was started 7 years ago by a visionary named Joshua Martyr, which is kinda ironic since he died for the cause, so in the end, he was actually a martyr. He was from a different world, far from the shores of my town, my nation. He came to this land with the tale of a free people and started Lorem Homines. Since then people have been joining the rebellion left and right. That’s how I got started as well. I heard him speak once when I was 13 and I joined the day after. I have been working as a spy for a few years now and although it may be dangerous, I love it. 

All that said I am still nervous, especially today, since I am headed to the Capitol city to continue my work. This is the first time since I started I am having reservations about a decision my superiors made. Spying in an outlying town or a small city is very different from spying in the Capital city. In the Capital City, things were dangerous. People there hated the rebellion and anyone thought to be a part of it was thrown in jail and killed. I was just worried that I was being sent to my death. Every day thousands of people enter and exit the city and now I was just another one in a crowd. 

When I got off the train, my head was still spinning from the abrupt stop at the station. Why would they stop the train so fast, it is going to make someone hurl one day. I wanted to be mad and upset at the train, but my irritation left my body when I saw the city laid out in front of me. Tall buildings looked bright and heavenly with the sun reflecting off of the glass panels that made up the walls, I could also see a few historical buildings mixed in, with their tall columns and sparkling white steps. It was like walking into a wonderland, long gone were the short dirty houses of the outer towns, now I was walking among gods. 

I didn’t waste too long looking at the scene in front of me, I had work to do. First I had to find where I would be staying. I was told that it was the main base for our operations, but I wasn’t sure. I had to be careful about everything I did after leaving this station. It was a whole new world and I was scared. I collected my stuff and walked down the stairs of the train station. Once you got down to street level, the city was exceptionally clean and well marked. Still, the fact that I didn’t get lost once was a miracle, I do have a terrible sense of direction, but I made it headquarters quickly. When I got there I for one was shocked. The building looked like a normal apartment building in a row of other apartment buildings. I assumed the address wasn’t wrong and walked in. Bam! Barely one step in the door and I collide with someone. I looked up to see an older man who appears to be in a hurry because he just keeps walking. Great, just great, the first day of a new job and I end up on the ground. Picking myself up from the floor I walked towards the desk. The receptionist is a young man not much older than me.

“ Hi I am renting an apartment here under the name of Whitner, I’m pretty sure it is number 15” I smile as he looks up almost bored. Sighing he says,

“All right, I have the apartment here. It is on the third floor 3 to the left. The landlord will be up either later today or tomorrow to talk with you about the apartment and your payment.” 

“Thank you.” He handed me my keys and I walked away very quickly, kinda glad to be away from him. He was giving me an off vibe. I hop into the elevator, just as it is about to close. There was another person in the elevator but they were on the other side of the tiny room, so it was fine. I just stayed over on my side and was out of the elevator soon after. I turned the corner and could see my apartment down the hall. After unlocking my door I walked in. It was dark in the room, much darker than it was outside, and I couldn’t see much inside the room. I fumbled by the door for the light switch and turned it on before going in and closing the door behind me. The apartment was what I expected, small with only the necessities. To be fair, Lorem Homines was not a rich man's game of crochet. Most money was used to fund the movement, not housing. I set to work putting my stuff away in the dresser next to the bed. Once that was done, I didn’t have much to do. I could go out and explore the city, but I didn’t want to do that before I got my assignment. So instead I decided to draw. I love to draw, it is so calming and fun. Without drawing where society would be? 

When I finished my drawing, I looked up at the clock above the stove and saw it was late. Well, that means it is time to go to bed. I hoped tomorrow would be more exciting. I woke up naturally around dawn the next day and got ready for the day. I was hoping that my new superior would stop by sometime in the morning so I could go and get food since I hadn’t eaten at all since I arrived yesterday. As if the gods were smiling down at me. I heard a knock at my door. Scrambling, I threw open the door to reveal a kind looking lady with a clipboard. She smiled at me before gesturing towards my living room.

“Oh, yeah, come in come in” She walked past me and I shut the door behind her. Turning towards her, she started talking

“Welcome to Capitol City Whitner, how was the journey?” she looked at me expectantly. For a second, I was stunned. In the outer towns and cities, everyone is all “do this right now, we don’t have time to be nice, GET IT DONE!!”

“The journey was okay, I haven’t been on a train for that long before so that was new.” she smiled, seemingly happy with my answer. 

“Now I’m sure you understand why you are here, I have heard from your old superior that you were the person to talk to about our plans. In exchange for your services, we will be paying you, compared to other places it may not seem like a lot, but you do live here for free. The money you get paid, will be more for food and other necessities, you understand?” I nod, listening intently. 

“Good, now you will need a new name so that no one knows you and you will need to change your appearance. Here is your new file with your whole new life. Learn this like it's the bible because it might save your life one day. The stuff you will need to change your appearance will be sent up to your apartment in a couple of hours. The next files I’m going to give you are both your assignment and the current state of Lorem Homines in Capitol City and our plans for the future. I’m sure you can figure out how you play a crucial role in the plans. Now with that, I leave you to do your own thing. You start tomorrow, I’ll expect you in the basement at 8 am sharp.” She handed me 4 files and left. The first file was thick. Opening it I saw a whole new person that I would have to become. I started making a mental check-list of all the things I had to do today. Sure it would be difficult, catching up on 7 years of progress and learning a whole new life, and figuring out how I fit into the major plan all in one day, but I had no fear that I couldn’t do it. Well, I had to do it. I needed to get something to eat and then get to work.

The next morning I sat at my table, pondering my way through my assignment. Not only was I going to spy on the people in power but also spread rumors to the lower and middle class of the revolutionary ideas that Lorem Homines follow. This was the beginning of the end for the government. We were going to be a force to reckon with, me and the other spies. The assignment said that over 200 others were doing the same thing as me, but I was the one going into hell’s nest and expected to do my job perfectly. I was informed that I would be posing as a secretarial intern for the secretary of the Secretary of Defense. I looked in the mirror, my hair now a delightful shade of plain brown, so much more boring than my old blonde hair. I had to cut a bit off so it hit just above my shoulder. The file contained everything about who I was, including how I style myself every day, and I can only think of one way to describe it… boring. I loved it. All set for the day I locked my door and got into the elevator clicking the basement button. It didn’t stop, which was a relief, I didn’t want to interact with people unless it was for work right now. The door opened to reveal a blank hallway, already suspicious by the way. I walk out and the door closes behind me. I turn quickly to see no elevator button to bring me back upstairs. Yep, I’m going to die. Walking forward I started to hear voices from the end of the hallway. I entered the room to find 14 people staring at me. 

“Can we help you?” the guy closest to me says.

“Um, I was told to come down here at 8 sharp this morning and I don’t know if this is the right room.” The guy standing in front of a map of the city turns to me

“Lauren Finch I presume,” I nod before he gestures to a seat in the middle of the table “have a seat”. I plop myself down in my chair for about 2 seconds before he restarts the meeting. It was an orientation of sorts for the other new spies brought in for the final movement in the plan. They all had the same job as me, in different parts of the city of course, but we were all doing the same thing. Gather information and spread rumors to create kindling for the inevitable fire. The man closed off the meeting with some words of wisdom as he stated

“Right now your lives are just a meaning to an end, If you die another will take your place. Do this well and your lives could mean something. Have a productive day and good luck.” That’s how he closed the meeting. After that, we went our separate ways. I had to get to work and so did everybody else. I didn’t get a single name.

Now I was headed out into the real world, where simple decisions could be the difference between life and death. I hope on a bus headed to the main government building. Getting off the bus I looked at my watch, just in time. Walking up to the building, I see security in the distance, cue panic. Approaching the desk, the lady sitting there looks up at me.

“Do you need something?”

“Umm yes actually, see my name is Lauren Finch, I am the new secretarial intern for the secretary of the Secretary of Defense and today is my first day. I believe that I need a badge or some kind of card to get into the building, do I get that from you or in the building?” Begrudgingly she looked down at the computer and typed my name into the search engine.

“All right here you go Miss Finch, now all you have to do is pass through security and head up to the office of the secretary of defense on the second floor. Just make sure you knock before going in.” She handed me a badge and a map.

“Thank you for your help, have a good day.” I walk back to get in line for the security check before I could start to fidget. The first day with a new persona is always nerve-racking for me, but most people pass that off as first day jitters. Security here was quite proficient and in no time, I was through and into the building. Now all I had to do was find the office and get to work. Looking around I smiled to myself.

“One day this is all going to burn”