Adena, The Delicate | Teen Ink

Adena, The Delicate

August 21, 2011
By Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
40 articles 1 photo 769 comments

Prologue

Sizzles and booms echoed around the strong house of the Nilse family. Young Adena Nilse, stood looking out side the tall white window.
It was rain cats and dogs. The size of golf balls, one had already cracked a window.
Adena stood there frozen. Waiting for her daddy to come home. Her big sapphire blue eyes locked on the driveway. Her blond hair was astray, from trying to close the door many times from it being blown open. Her once tan-ish complexion, was now pale from the stress of worrying about her dad.
“Would you stop staring outside! It’s freaking me out!” young Rivers Nilse, and adopted brat, that was Adena’s brother said.
Adena stood ridged.
Rivers when over and pulled her arm hard. It was no use Adena still stuck in her spot.
“Quit worrying! Dads going to be fine!” Rivers said.
He went up to Adena, and looked her in the eye. Rivers was a tall boy. He had beautiful grass green eyes, and long brown hair that went to his ears. He had a tan complexion.
“Adena!” Rivers yelled in her face, waving a hand in her face. “It’s no use is it?” Rivers said, and walked out of the room.
CRACK!!!
The big sycamore tree toppled over, missing the house by inches. Adena woke from her trance.
“Daddy?” she said out loud.
“Adena? Are you awake?” Rivers peered from behind the wall of the living-room.
“Wheres Daddy?” Adena asked, looking him in the eye.
“I don’t know. He was suppose to be here an hour ago” Rivers finally realized it, and looked startled.
“Mom!” he called frantically.
Adena shrunk to the corner, afraid for her Dads safety.
“Daddy?” she called softly again, she buried her face in her hands and cried.
Their mom came in, puffy eyes, and tears running down her cheeks like race cars. The women, was very tall, with light brown hair that went to her shoulders. She had big blue eyes, that looked like the sea and sparkled when ever she cried.
“Daddy is. . . not coming home sweetie” she choked out.
“You mean like for another hour?” Adena asked hopefully, her big blue eyes filled, glazing over.
“No. . . no. never” she whispered, and sobbed to Adena, pressing her against her chest and weeping.
“Daddy is dead?” Adena barely got out.
“Yes” her mom said quietly. “The rain. . . it was to heavy. He crashed his car into another car and. . .” Adena’s mother didn’t finish, she started sobbing again, soaking Adena’s shirt.
Rivers stood in the corner, looking out the window sadly.
“Why aren’t you crying?” Adena demanded. “Does Daddy’s death not matter to you?” Adena said angrily.
“No, it matters. I just. . . I hardly new him” Rivers said quietly, looking down at his feet.
“Oh” Adena said. “I miss him” she told Rivers, and began to hold her mother tight.
“Me too” Rivers said quietly.
CRACK! BOOM! the clouds of thunder moved toward the small house, casting a dark shadow over them.
“It’s too dark” Adena whispered. The only sound in the house was the sound over the mothers sobs.
“Hes gone, hes gone!” their mother whispered into her hands.
Adena moved out of her grip, and moved towards the reading lamp. She flicked the lamp switch.
The lamp didn’t turn on.
“The power is out” Adena whispered to Rivers.
No reply. . .
“Rivers!” Adena hissed. “I know your there! Talk!” she yelled.
No answer. . .
CRACK!
Lightning struck, outline a much too tall figure, of where Rivers use to be standing.
“Daddy?” Adena’s lip trembled. “Is that you?” she asked shivered from the sudden coldness of the room.
“I’m not your dad kid” a deep hard voice spoke, making the whole house tremble, as if it was in fear.
“Who. . . who are you?” Adena asked quietly.
“My name. . . is Thomas Anderson, and you are?” the voice seemed to smile.
“Adena Nilse” she spoke, trying to be calm.
“Your brother smells good” the voice growled.
“Hes not my brother. Hes my step-brother” Adena said startled by what the voice said, taking a step back.
Thomas chuckled. “Let me see what you look like” Thomas said slyly, taking a step forward and putting his hand out.
All of a sudden, the lamb magically turned itself on.
“Adena turned to the lamp. She stared at it in awe.
“How-” Adena started to ask. Her mom whimpered and stared at what lay behind her.
Adena turned around slowly.
A pale handsome man, with tall muscular features was standing right in front of her, looking her up and down.
“Not much” he said grimly.
He had liquid gold eyes, that glowed. Looking like the sun. His hair was dark brown and short, just barely touching his ears. His face was hard and solid.
In his left hand, was Rivers. Limp and was held by the throat.
“What are you doing to him!” Adena screeched, her eyes wide with horror.
Her mom whimpered again, getting a glance from Thomas. She scooted back.
“This” he said, giving Adena a blinding white smile, and then yanked Rivers throat to his mouth, biting into it.
Adena screamed in horror, and lashed out at Thomas, kicking him in the stomach, making him drop Rivers.
“Rivers!” Adena screamed, shaking him. He looked pale. . . she observed.
Thomas was up in no time glaring at Adena. “Hes dead. And so is your mom”
Her mom screamed, and was met by the same fate as Rivers.
Thomas locked onto her throat, making slurping sounds, as he was sucking the life and blood right out of her.
“MOM!” Adena yelled laying Rivers down and thrashing at Thomas.
“Your a monster!” Adena screamed at Thomas.
He looked up, his mouth smeared with her mother blood. “No, I’m a vampire”.

Twelve Years Later. . .

(Adena is now seventeen)