The Chosen One | Teen Ink

The Chosen One

By artflower BRONZE, Stockton, California
artflower BRONZE, Stockton, California

It was a very sunny day, the birds were chirping, and we came upon a small house near a riverbank.  This house holds a very special girl by the name of Abigale. She was born in 1997. Abby was cared for by her father and mother, Jerry and Elaine, that had found her in the woods crying and all alone.  That night they were visited by a man with a long white beard.   He had told them the child was destined for greatness the good or evil.  The month before her twenty-first birthday will be when her birth parents breakout of their prison and rule the world with the help of their daughter or will be destroyed.  He said ‘Take care of her she is everybodies last chance at survival’.

Abby had no idea of what she was or where she stood in the fate of the world.  Jerry and Elaine did all they could to take good care of her.  As far as she knew she was the birth child of Elaine and Jerry. They made sure she was raised good and pure.  Everyday in her life was nice and happy until  a month before her birthday.
“Who is it?”Abby asked.
“It is your parents honey,” her mother answered.
Abby went to open the door and as soon as she did her parents burst in.  They went straight to her room.  As her mother gathered all her clothes and dropped them on the bed, her dad came in carrying two suitcases.  As they were pushing clothes into the suitcases, Abby came into the room and pushed them away. This caused the clothes and suitcases fall.  Jerry fell to the floor trying to continue packing the suitcases.
“What are you doing?” she said confused.
Her parents ignored her and started to whisper to each other.
“We should have told her sooner,” her mother said.
“There isn’t time Elaine. You know the orders we were given.  We must get her to safety!” her father, Jerry, yelled.
“What are you talking about? Should have told me what?” Abby asked.
Elaine stopped for a moment and looked at Abby.  She sat her down and began to tell her about herself.
“Everything you know about us, about you, and about this whole world is a complete lie,” Elaine sighed.
“Elaine we don’t have ti-”
“No, Jerold I  am going to tell her!”Elaine yelled.
Abby’s mother sat her down and began to explain the story.
She said, “Abby baby, remember when you were little and used to have those dreams of a far of place and see those two unfamiliar faces.”
“Go on.” Abby said shakily.
“Remember we told you they were figments of your imagination.  Well those might be your parents,”Elaine said.
“What are you talking about you are my birth parents you raised.  Please tell me this is a joke,”Abby cried.
“That’s enough Elaine”her father said.
“The night we brought you back to the house we were visited by someone.”her mother continued.
“He said you had good and evil magic!”Jerry shouted.
“The man had told us your father was an evil person. He liked to inflict pain on others, but one day he saw a beautiful woman named Esmerelda.  She on the other hand was pure and full of love.  The moment your father, Daniel, and mother meet eyes it was at first sight.  Later a few complications were in place.  The town didn’t like the idea of them being together so they tried to kill your father, but what they didn’t know was your mother was about to give birth to you.  After you were born the mob had already killed your father.  The man had told us that even the most pure of us all could turn dark.  Esmerelda had rushed to his side then a cloud black smoke had surrounded her and she became cold and heartless.  She then performed an awakening spell to save Daniel.  While this was happening the mob had heard the cries of a newborn baby.  Your mother didn’t get there in time to stop a man from opening a portal and sending you to our world.  Your father by this time on his feet was at your mother’s side casting an even bigger and more dangerous spell than anyone had ever casted before.  It was to kill all people who were involved in the horrible act.  In this act those who were left including one of the most powerful person banished them to the depths of the earth,”Elaine explained as calmly as she could.
“We need to get you out  of here and to th-”Elaine said.
“The safe place!,”Abby shouted, “or what, i’ll join my “parents”and kill everything and everyone.”
Her hands started to tingle as if  there were a billion little sparks of electricity waiting to bolt out.  She tried to calm down, but was very frightened at the same time because this had never happened before.
“Fine,”she replied, “be back in an hour and i’ll be ready to go.”
“Okay sweetie, one hour,”Elaine said while signaling for a hug.
Jerry too joined in for the hug and then they left.  Abby sat down on the couch to ponder.
“This can’t be true,”she thought to herself quiet, “this can’t be true!  They are crazy, yeah that’s it.”
Abby sat on the couch and tried gestures she had seen in movies when people tried powers out, but nothing work.  Then she got so frustrated like she was with her parents and then with a burst of lightning a lamp bursted into a million little pieces.  Once that happened she rushed to the room to grabbed the clothes she needed.  Ten minutes later, her parents arrived to take her to the only place she would be safe.  They opened the door to find a huge mess.  Jerry looked in the room to find her clothes gone and the suitcases missing.  Then, Elaine came with a note Abigale had left for them on the kitchen table.
‘Dear mother and father,
You have been kind to me my whole  life.  You may not be my birth parents, but I love you no matter what.  There are no questions to be asked I will always love you.  I would not be the person I am today without the love and support you have given me throughout the years.  I am sorry to have to tell you this in a note, but I can’t do the things you believe I can.  I will never forget you.
         Goodbye forever,
          love Abby.’

Jerry was sad and ran outside and screamed out as loud as he could ‘Abby!  Abby!’.  Then a storm cloud was forming under Jerry and a bolt of lightning shot directly in front of Jerry and made him jump into a puddle of mud.  From that bolt of lightning a boy about the same age, maybe a year older, than Abigale appear.  He extended his arm and helped Jerry up. 
“Hello sir, sorry for the mess.  Are you okay?”the boy asked.
“Who are you?”Jerry asked.
“Sorry for not introducing myself my name is Thomas.  I have been watching over your daughter for about ten years.  I would have come sooner, but I needed to be invited by you or your wife.”Thomas said
“You needed an invitation to come!”Jerry exclaimed.
Elaine came running out after here Jerry yell.
“What is the matter?  What happened to you close?”she asked.
“Sorry about that,”Thomas said frightening Elaine.
“Who are you, and why have you come?”Elaine asked.
“I am sorry about your husband’s clothes.  Let me fix them,”Thomas suggested.
He snapped his fingers and the mud was gone. 
“Okay now that is out the way, can we get back to finding my daughter?”Elaine said impatiently.
“Of course we could.  I know were your daughter is, but as soon as I find her she must come with me as soon as possible.”Thomas said.
“No, we want to see her.  This could possible be the last time we ever see her again,”Jerry replied.
“Listen, we have no choice he-”Thomas was interrupted.
“No you listen here either we come with you or you bring her to see us,”Elaine insisted.
“I can’t do that.  I am sorry, but too much time has already been wasted.  You will only slow me down.”Thomas said trying to be as polite as he could.
“Okay it is fine, but when you find her please tell her ‘that we love her and we should have told sooner.  I know we don’t deserve her forgiveness, but we hope the best for her.  Be good and look deep in herself.  It is up to you to choose who you want to be.  If you look deep down in your self you are stronger than anything in this whole world,”Elaine said.
Thomas walked up to them, put one hand on Elaine and said, “It is not your fault.  You both are good and loving parents.  It is not your fault the instructions you were told said to keep it a secret from her.”
Then Thomas was gone leaving  Jerry and Elaine in each other’s arms.  Thomas was sent to a place not far from where Abby was at.  He had followed her into an alleyway.  She suspected someone was following her so she hid from him then attacked.  She jumped on his back and began hitting him in the head. 
“Stop!  Stop!”Thomas shouted.
“Who are you and what do you want?!”Abby asked.
“I’m Thomas, your guardian.  I was sent by your parents.” Thomas said having a hard time breathing.
“My parents?”Abby asked loosening her grip around his throat.
Now Thomas was trying to restrain her holding her tight.
“Let go!”she exclaimed.
Thomas let her go making Abby fall to the ground trying to catch her breath.  Thomas did the same, but was more hurt then she was.  Abby got up to help with his head. 
“Sorry about that I just didn’t know who you are.
She stood up and had realized what he said.
“Did you say you are my guardian?”she asked.
“Yes,”he said.
“This has got to be a dream or something,”Abby said, “First my parents say they aren’t my real parents, I got in a fight with a complete stranger, now I am supposed to believe that i have a “guardian” or are you just an admitted stalker.”
“I assure I am not a stalker, I mean would a stalker really tell you his name,”Thomas said with a smirk on his face.
“No, I suppose not,”Abby said helping Thomas up.
“I am Abby, but I am pretty sure that you already knew that “guardian””she said.
“Please, call me Thomas,”he said.
As they were about to leave the alley something had dragged Abby down to the ground.  Abby was screaming and kicking trying to get away from this shadow.  Thomas ran to catch up, stopped, then bolted a ray of light out of the palms of his hands.  Abby screamed and duct under her arms.  Thomas had hit the shadow and it disappear. he ran to Abby and picked her up with fright in his eyes.
“What was that thing?!”Abby asked.
“It has began,”Thomas said, “I need to get you out of here now.”
“Why?  What is happening?”Abby asked.
“Keep up, don’t look back, and whatever you do don’t stop running,”Thomas said, “they have awaken.”
“Who has awaken?”Abby asked.
“I’ll explain later, just run toward the woods and don’t stop,”Thomas said.
Abby ran and ran until she was at a huge oak tree and hid under a root that was off the ground. She tried to calm her breath, but then she heard foot steps. Her heart was racing.  She felt like crying.  The footsteps grew softer as if someone was shrinking.  Now it was as if it was a human.  She come out a little to see who it was.  It was Thomas.  He was badly hurt with cuts on his face and bruises all over his arms.  He walked with a slight limp, but was determined to get them both to the safe place.  Abby stopped him and told him to sit down for a while.
“My house isn’t too far from